Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Last of the V8 Interceptors.. my XB Falcon Coupe

Thanks guys.... & yes I think that labor of love is probably the best way to describe this, mind you some days it's very much love-hate just this past week I ended up in a medical center having a decent size crack in my skull glued together as I'd been attached by the car.. that adds to the many many other permeant scars that I now have thanks to this resto & just a day ago a mate was here helping me with some grinding & his day ended with a cut on his knuckle that was pretty bloody (pardon the pun) deep.... some days it's like the car doesn't want to be saved..

we've started calling her Christine now so I'm hoping that I'm only one more blood sacrifice away from her finishing this resto on her own
    Speed is just a question of money, how fast do you want to go

Nah, being an Aussie car, you'll have to call it Chrisso.

Happy new year by the way and keep those updates coming.

Bleed/heal on your own time!

I’ve measured up & welded in the boot lock bracket now, so that should be the last of the welding bits back on/in the car other than what’s needed for panel gap setting later

I’ve finally finished stuffing about with the floors & I’m calling them done… in reality I could spend another month on them fixing tiny things but the simple reality is that there will be a thick coating of rubberised ute bed liner sprayed on this & also it’s the underside of the car so it’ll only ever be seen by me when I’m working on the car on the hoist… this will not be a fancy shiny show car that gets parked up with mirrors under it to show off the polished shiny underneath…

With the metal all cleaned & treated I’ve mixed up the specific Etch Primer that comes with the Raptor liner kits..

I’ve also done all of the above to the inside floor as well

The Raptor liner that I’ll be using will be a thick textured coating that will be great for stone chip protection.. but as it will be textured there will be some parts of the underside that I won’t want covered in it as I’ll want a smooth surface, so I’m spraying them in a red paint that will be close to the actual final car colour, that way the whole underside of the car will be red & these sections that need to be smooth won’t just be the primer colour…

These parts are front spring mounts where the lower control arms of the 4 link rear end will attach

The section where the front torque tube bracket bolts on

Where the huge mumford link bracket attaches & where the coilover bracket bolts up

The seam sealer I’m using can be sanded & painted over, so I’ve opted to apply it now over the primer but under the final Raptor liner layer… this stuff is super messy to try & work with but I’ve gone for a more is better approach here as I can sand it back once it’s fully cured tomorrow if I need to

All things being equal I should be able to get some time to mask up the car tomorrow evening after work & then hopefully I can tint up the Raptor liner & spray it on the weekend

I hated the process of masking up the car for painting… I just don’t seem to have the patience for this sort of job, but it’s done now… I used tape to cover the suspension bits I don’t want the liner on & I used those soft ear bud things to fill up the threaded bolt holes in the floor

Then it was just a load of taping paper to the car to cover off any bits I was worried I’d get overspray on… this took almost a full day to do… it could have been done quicker I guess if I didn’t spend the whole time telling myself just how much I hated doing it..

Next task was to assemble my temp makeshift paint booth… I don’t mind spraying primer on stuff in the shed but I didn’t want this thick liner stuff floating about & dusting everything in the shed.. I bought a cheap $100 tent thing that I figured would work.. it’s just a simple tubular frame that slots together

The roof section goes on next

Then I moved it into the shed

Tested that I could spin the car over inside this new “booth”

Then I Velcroed on the side & end panels

The Ute bed liner paint is a simple system, they give you the bottle of liner & the exact measured bottle of hardener in each box, I bought the tintable version so I also needed some red 2K paint to mix in… I also bought the adjustable spray they sell that screws directly onto the bottle

This stuff goes on real nice… I’m really happy with how easy it was to spray on, this is still wet in the pics so I won’t know until tomorrow I guess how I did… but for now I’m really happy with how it looks

This is two full coats now…

Woo-hoo! Paint

Love the spray booth, I shall be stealing that idea for future indoor messy work.