Page 136 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136
Results 1,351 to 1,358 of 1358

Thread: Whatcha ridin'

Out of curiosity what sort of power would you need to hold for 30/35 kph? A conservative ball park figure, for hilly Irish roads.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy16v View Post
    Out of curiosity what sort of power would you need to hold for 30/35 kph? A conservative ball park figure, for hilly Irish roads.

Pro power....especially for 180km on your own on Irish roads.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    Surely YOU should. And YOU should surely.

Maybe meet in the middle at 32.5 on condition that none of the rest of us have to come around you at any stage.
    True, id be swinging

There are so many variables it'd impossible to quantify TBH - how aero you are on the bike, the weather on the day, your equipment. The ROK is fairly flat or rolling as long spins go, it's only clocking about 1000m ascent per 100km. I'd say if I rode a steady solid Z2 230/240w all day would easily be enough for somewhere 30-33, though it's not easy either to just go out and ride that steady level power for hours on end either.

Bryan McCrystal was down there recently enough for an Ironman. 3.5k swim, jumped on the bike then for a solo lap of the ROK at about 40avg, then ran a 3h15 marathon.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3982746262

That's what 318w avg for 4.5hours on a TT bike, disc wheel, skinsuit, aero helmet will get you. I'd be done after an hour
    Last edited by Desmo; 25-11-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Good to know thanks. Well, Z2 of 230W... Looks like there is a bit (massive) amount of training to do, to reach this made up goal
    And definitely get a new bike...

That's the key bit - a new bike!

you need to put in a steady amount of focused training to make proper gains. so far all I've managed with the turbo sessions I do once or twice a week is to improve my short term power. which is fun for sprints and somewhat useful on mtb, but my ftp is still a ways off what it was 2/3 years ago when I was doing xc races plus training

I recently sold two older racebikes I had a prototype made by Coyote MTB from the late 90s and a Powerlite from mid 90s.

I'm not that into to the whole oldschool bikes hanging on the wall thing and needed a bike I could use.

I found this nice 7000 series alloy framed haro race bike that was being misused and unloved.
    Raised the seat dumped front brake and the wrought iron pegs (1.5kg I weighed them) and replaced the chain and grips and some other bits. Looking a lot better now and should be a good machine for the Belmont pump track when it re-opens on Wednesday hopefully.

Before.

haro race 2.jpg

After

Haro race 3.jpg