Page 160 of 164 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1632

Thread: Motoring questions you are afraid to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    I'd have expected any IT guy worth his salt to be aware of the difference between '/' and '.'

@gofaster - Yeah that was perhaps a bit 'pithy' of me. But on a serious note - not decrying the spannering abilities of the guys you talk about - but if they're borderline illiterate, what do they do when it comes to tasks where they have to do things like use feeler gauges / set a torque wrench - or check what the right torque value for a component they're not familiar with should be / use a multimeter etc ?
    They know how to count and their reading in a lot of cases would be to the level of following the lines of words and breaking down into syllables, it’s also a case of familiarity, ie words they’re using regularly they will identify. I’ve worked with, taught and organised exam readers for a lot of young lads that completed school to junior cert level and left with basic literary and mathematical abilities(to a level similar to my own 7 year old) and some of them are excellent. Ask them to read it from notes or a textbook and they either struggle, get defensive or use some other coping system that they’ve developed but ask them a question or put them hands on and they shine.

And how would you propose a semi-illiterate person of the type described above might do that exactly ?
    They just go to the page with the most greasy fingerprints on it.

I'm right and the rest of you are wrong, mkay

And how would you propose a semi-illiterate person of the type described above might do that exactly ?
    As gofaster_s13 says, people develop coping systems.

Plenty of people have been failed by the education system here, which is pretty much why the Irish Government had to hand a shedload of compensation to anyone who attended the school for the deaf in Cabra up to about the 80s, yet loads of people who attended it still managed to muddle through life gainfully employed, just not to their full potential.

I mean base 60 number systems originated from people counting the knuckles on one hand and still have relevance today, particular with angular measurement. Mathematics was able to progress long before we had the current system of Arabic numbers or mathematical symbols, so how did people do it back then? The symbols are just that, symbols, they are just one of many ways to represent the underlying abstract mathematics.

There's a number of alternative methods of doing multiplication and division apart from the ways they teach you in school for example.

Quote Originally Posted by gofaster_s13 View Post
    They know how to count and their reading in a lot of cases would be to the level of following the lines of words and breaking down into syllables, it’s also a case of familiarity, ie words they’re using regularly they will identify. I’ve worked with, taught and organised exam readers for a lot of young lads that completed school to junior cert level and left with basic literary and mathematical abilities(to a level similar to my own 7 year old) and some of them are excellent. Ask them to read it from notes or a textbook and they either struggle, get defensive or use some other coping system that they’ve developed but ask them a question or put them hands on and they shine.
    Fair play.

Quote Originally Posted by pedrosixfour View Post
    They just go to the page with the most greasy fingerprints on it.

Nah - that just takes you to the last thing somebody has been working at..

Jesus lads, i think we need a new site name...

Sure it's Friday.

Important to get these things right ..

https://i.gifer.com/Ai09.gif

I thought it was the drunks' corner I was reading....
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Nah - that just takes you to the last thing somebody has been working at..
    Dirtiest page in our workshop manuals is ALWAYS the torque spec page.

No matter the job (basic ones aside), you always end up there.

what's that about arguing with an engineer... pig in sh1t... something