Page 1 of 212 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Motoring questions you are afraid to ask.

Motoring questions you are afraid to ask.

This was a popular thread on Octane so we should keep it going.

I have a constant drain in the battery of my Golf Gti - I have to disconnect the battery if its going to be parked for any prolonged period. Is there any way to systematically track down the source of the leak by using a multimeter etc?

Yes, set the multimeter to Amps, and disconnect the neg lead from the battery.
    Connect the red wire of the meter to the neg lead (or the car body/earth) and the black lead of the meter to the battery neg post.
    The reading you get now should be tiny (radio memory and clock, possibly alarm, if it's set).
    If the draw is more than about 0.05 amps, there is a problem - you can try removing one fuse at a time to see which circuit is causing the most drain.

Somebody over here has the same problem: http://www.kelsey-forums.co.uk/cgi-bin/ ... 29/new#new
    ________
    Wheelnut

Quote Originally Posted by Type17
    Yes, set the multimeter to Amps, and disconnect the neg lead from the battery.
    Connect the red wire of the meter to the neg lead (or the car body/earth) and the black lead of the meter to the battery neg post.
    The reading you get now should be tiny (radio memory and clock, possibly alarm, if it's set).
    If the draw is more than about 0.05 amps, there is a problem - you can try removing one fuse at a time to see which circuit is causing the most drain.
    Or you could pull a fuse and use the multimeter to check the current through the fuseholder contacts. You could also have a problem in the alternator.
    Deadly Dave

How do you re-size pictures so that they fit in the avatars here? (I think I used to know but I forget)
    ________
    Wheelnut

Why do brake pedals turn soft over time, and have to be re-bled ?
    The system is closed, the fluid is the same, and the wear of the brakepad cannot be that great, so what makes the pedal soft ?
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by hi-rev
    Why do brake pedals turn soft over time, and have to be re-bled ?
    The system is closed, the fluid is the same, and the wear of the brakepad cannot be that great, so what makes the pedal soft ?
    my understanding is a combination of things. Degradation of the fluid over time, combined with wear on some seals and pipes gives just a little bit less pressure over time.

I posted a similar question on Octane in the same thread but never got an answer. Why do saloon cars not get rear wipers? Hatchbacks have a steeper rake on the rear screen so their run off is better, but they still get one!

Why is reverse a straight cut gear?

I know why forward gears are helical (most of the time) but can't figure why reverse isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Why is reverse a straight cut gear?

I know why forward gears are helical (most of the time) but can't figure why reverse isn't.
    I'm going to give an idiot answer here, that its so you can't select reverse instead of fourth when you're barreling along. This was one of my greatest fears when learning to drive!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelnut
    How do you re-size pictures so that they fit in the avatars here? (I think I used to know but I forget)
    On the photo hosting sites (photobucket etc.) you can change the size of what the photos will be uploaded to, through an option menu. I'm not sure if there is an easier way though.