Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 80 kph ebike - now you are talking!

Quote Originally Posted by philb View Post
    same point still applies, the pedals arent doing much except enabling the law to be bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    True on the first part, but you might still want pedal assist plus range rather than outright speed, not really applicable on the second, it's a US company and they've got a fair bit more wilderness/large national parks than us. It's perfectly legal to sell it in the EU, just like it's perfectly legal to sell an off road only motocross bike. Whether it's legal to use on the road is down to interpretation, it has various speed modes. It depends if a court feels that a user switchable soft limiter covers the speed limited EU definition of a pedelec or if it has to be a hard limiter. Similar could be said about switchable exhausts in cars.

I wouldn't risk it for a commuter bike, aside from being outrageously expensive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fortytwo View Post
    i believe that once you go over 25 kph with pedal assist, that it is treated as a vehicle in terms of insurance, licence and tax etc.
    "Ah..." sure who's going to know!

You could "put a limiter" on it..
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Six grand - I was hopoing for around 2.5-3.0k but what do I know seeing as the Brompton ebike is 3.6k

Quote Originally Posted by Traco View Post
    Six grand - I was hopoing for around 2.5-3.0k but what do I know seeing as the Brompton ebike is 3.6k
    Yeah it's dear. I was looking at the kits last year, and you could built a 3,000 watt bike for about 2k, not including bike. But I have a bike in the shed for the last 20 years.... hmmm.....
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Probably aimed at people who like the whole downhill of MTB, but want to go uphill almost as fast.
    fair point. I was out walking in Ticknock yesterday which has now been 90% taken over my mountain bike folk.... which is fine..... but a good few lads were whizzing electrically back up the hills after their decent.... felt like a bit of cheat when others were killing themselves getting back to the top.....

As cianha would say, it's only cheating if we're racing.