Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a PHEV?

Would you buy a PHEV?

I'm thinking of doing some fleet consolidation and getting some new wheels for my wife. She has expressed an interest in an EV but tbh she's kind of Ming's school of motoring and I'm not sure I'm that interested in hearing about when she got stuck in Barack Obama Plaza every waking hour for the next twenty years. There's also the small fact that the EV choices out there are quite underwhelming at the moment. The obvious solution is a Tesla of course but I can't gel with the Model 3 design, inside or out, so that's that. That new Hyundai yoke would be compelling potentially if they could sell a version that doesn't do 0-100km/h in half a year.

There are like a million different PHEVs obviously as all the normal cars now come with such a configuration as the manufacturers try to string out the last bit out of their existing platforms but we are dealing with Neanderthal motoring in that it's a stop gap. Or are we? With typical 50km range on electrics these days, there is some sense in it and then rely on petrol power to escape Barack Obama Plaza. You get 300+bhp as a general rule as well so they do shift even with 2,000kg to lumber around.

So getting to the question... would you buy a PHEV? I can think of some reasons why and I can think of some reasons why not...
    I'm with the resistance

Has to be the best solution at this point in the technology development if you do want some sort of EV driving. Especially in Ireland. Did you watch Harry's garage video on the X5 PHEV he is currently running. He previously ran the Jag EV (e-pace or i-pace???) and said they found they were not driving it as much as a normal car due to range and charge concerns.

I was typing out a longer response but decided it was a very long way of saying yes so I deleted it.

For what will be an appliance (by the sounds of things) I think one makes a better case for itself than a regular ICE car.
    3 V8s, a V12 and a 4 banger.

If you are going this route why not just go for a Hybrid? Same job without the plugging in bit or am I missing something? Couple of people I know who have PHEV tend to give up on the plug in but and end up with higher running costs.

Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle. I had to look it up, which shows how disengaged I am from the matter. "No" is my answer. Shampoo and conditioner doesn't work. Washer/dryers are sh1te. If electric is still in relative infancy and therefore not yet the way to go then why go token-half-electric. Stick with what works at the minute (ICE) until sh1t is sorted. That's my view on such things anyway.

An EV with range extension maybe, the whole Prius with more electric range not so much. No real benefits over just buying a smaller, cheaper, more fun to drive ICE. People forget the commercial reason for the Prius in the first place wasn't saving the planet, but that Toyota felt the small car market in the US was drying up and developed a mid sized vehicle with small car economy. Previously, people could have gotten the same fuel economy by buying a Geo Metro (Suzuki Swift).

It's our constant desire to move to bigger, heavier vehicles that's necessitated much of this tech in the first place. Imagine how much less CO2 would have been produced over the years had cars been penalized on weight? It would have been one of the simplest and most effective way to curb the bloat and whole life energy use.

I am kinda surprised no-one seems to have considered a plug-in battery/hydrogen fuel cell hybrid yet though. i.e. battery most the time, fuel cells for extra range and rapid refuelling.
    Last edited by crank_case; 28-02-2021 at 01:04 PM.

I think alot of manufacturers are jumping on the phev bandwagon to appease the green agenda while still being able to develop ICE's.

Real world wltp figures are nowhere near the claimed figures and some of the very early one's ranges where laughable. But as technology advances the ranges seem to have improved to a usable level. So they definitely make sense for some people.

I had contemplated buying a used 530e as my commute to work is only 10km each way and we have EV chargers in work. So effectively I could commute to work for free. But the turn off for me was the lack of boot space taken up by the battery and for some reason not many used ones have the optional rear folding seats.

So I will probably wait until the touring model released last year comes into my budget or maybe the Skoda Superb combi phev. But by then there might be a better selection of EV's to tempt me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by derekjohn View Post
    If you are going this route why not just go for a Hybrid? Same job without the plugging in bit or am I missing something? Couple of people I know who have PHEV tend to give up on the plug in but and end up with higher running costs.
    this is the whole issue I have with the taxation of these things, you can pay €200 quid road tax on a Panamera PHEV based on its emissions but if it’s not plugged in, it’s ceases to be as “emissions friendly”. Meanwhile the rest of us sticking to our “guns” continue to be screwed by the regime.
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

What's the new motor going to be instead of anyway DMZ? Or is it a straight addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazg2 View Post
    this is the whole issue I have with the taxation of these things, you can pay €200 quid road tax on a Panamera PHEV based on its emissions but if it’s not plugged in, it’s ceases to be as “emissions friendly”. Meanwhile the rest of us sticking to our “guns” continue to be screwed by the regime.
    I’ve thought about one when if ever I get back to driving a lot again. Not because of how effective they are but more for the fact that they are so much cheaper.
    For example a high spec 17’ 530e is almost 10 grand cheaper than a 530d of same vintage and spec. Similar performance but the petrol hybrid is a nicer car to me at least.