Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW E61 Battery Drain - won't start

BMW E61 Battery Drain - won't start

As title suggests, something drained the battery, it started making an alarm like sound to tell me it was gone I guess.
    Anyway hooked up the booster pack under the bonnet. I get lights and bongs inside but no turnover, just a click.

Battery is a year old.

Answers on a postcard

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

have you a multimeter (and/or any inclination to using one?)
    looking back now, I think that maybe, every now and again, I should have braked a little earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Mark2 View Post
    have you a multimeter (and/or any inclination to using one?)
    I don't. But I could get one.
    What am I investigating?

Sent from my ELS-NX9 using Tapatalk

Get it charged up again and pull each fuse one by one and put the multimeter across it. Check for suspiciously high amps with zero usage.

I had the same problem recently and decided to buy a NOCO booster. It’s a fabulous piece of kit. Will start a v8 with the batter disconnected. Won’t be without one in future.
    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

Check under the spare wheel for water ingress, your mom module among others is there. Quite common for water to corrode the pins, and or damage the module stopping it from putting the car to sleep. If everything looks ok there, have a read of the codes. If you don't have access to a code reader you can test it with an amp meter to see what current it's drawing and establish if it's going asleep or what drain you have.

Unless you have a solid reason to suspect battery drain, start with the basics. Charge the battery and get a multimeter and check the battery performance. If the car is sitting around a lot the battery may just be discharged. Plus it is not unknown for relatively new batteries to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo tim View Post
    Check under the spare wheel for water ingress, your mom module among others is there. Quite common for water to corrode the pins, and or damage the module stopping it from putting the car to sleep. If everything looks ok there, have a read of the codes. If you don't have access to a code reader you can test it with an amp meter to see what current it's drawing and establish if it's going asleep or what drain you have.
    +1, happened to my e61 a few years back

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I'd bet on water under the spare wheel too. Happened me, i was parked on an incline and after a night of heavy rain car. was dead the next morning. Jump started it and drove home and the electronics were doing crazy things. When I got home and checked there was a ton of water in the spare wheel well, all the modules fried. The drains for the panoramic sunroof were blocked

HELP!!!!

Next steps?

Last edited by Rochey; 25-02-2021 at 12:19 PM.

When I put that battery in last year I used Carly to code it.
    Now that it is dead, does it need to be coded again?