Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandymount cycleway, good idea ?

They've already installed one a few kilometres down the road in Monkstown. But not on a busy commuter road. But busy all the same. These soytard Greens. Sandymount is an area of sea deposition, not erosion. There is plenty of scope to do it properly and not take anything away from the coastline.

You will own nothing and you will be happy!

My view is simple, anything that discourages driving in city confines is good as long as it doesn’t negatively impact me directly so all good with me

You can keep Dublin....this eco green shite was the reason we moved out. Trust me out this way the cycle nazis can f##k right off.

Funny, theres actually no cyclists in Dublin at the moment with all of the offices closed, or cars for that matter. It's great being able to just drive around the city with no interruptions.

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    are you enjoying the sh1tshow of traffic in Knocklyon since the new cycle lane roundabout was installed???? count the number of bikes using it during rush hour...... you will count more buses.....
    I don't use the cycle lanes at that roundabout, they're badly designed and dangerous - it's an infuriatingly poor design for motorists & cyclists and barely improved the lot for pededstrians - all while costing well over a million. Nothing to do with the GP either (I checked), it's SDCC's own roads division being ing inept. I raised the issue with two TDs and four Councillors and nothing really happened, although at least the two FF councillors got involved and followed up with the council.

The cycle lanes put in by DLRCC have been great in my experience and I'm looking forward to the sandymount scheme.
    Am I the only one on here who enjoys both driving and cycling? I'm happy to trade driving taking a little longer for not having daily near-misses with cars/vans on the bike.

Then again, I spend an awful lot of time in Oslo which has a very different cultural approach to primacy of road users.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggedtoviewpics View Post
    I don't use the cycle lanes at that roundabout, they're badly designed and dangerous - it's an infuriatingly poor design for motorists & cyclists and barely improved the lot for pededstrians - all while costing well over a million. Nothing to do with the GP either (I checked), it's SDCC's own roads division being ing inept. I raised the issue with two TDs and four Councillors and nothing really happened, although at least the two FF councillors got involved and followed up with the council.

The cycle lanes put in by DLRCC have been great in my experience and I'm looking forward to the sandymount scheme.
    Am I the only one on here who enjoys both driving and cycling? I'm happy to trade driving taking a little longer for not having daily near-misses with cars/vans on the bike.

Then again, I spend an awful lot of time in Oslo which has a very different cultural approach to primacy of road users.
    logic and empathy usually thin on the ground when it comes to cyclists. personally I'd like better cycling infrastructure at the expense of cars as it would encourage more people (including kids) to cycle and reduce city traffic generally

Quote Originally Posted by Reggedtoviewpics View Post

logic and empathy usually thin on the ground when it comes to cyclists. personally I'd like better cycling infrastructure at the expense of cars as it would encourage more people (including kids) to cycle and reduce city traffic generally

edited to add

as per my earlier post if was a real pain in the ass to me I mightn’t ge so keen
    Last edited by TPaul; 18-02-2021 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    its the biggest pile of sh1te so far...... but drive around Dublin and see all the cycling measures that have been rushed in during Covid..... Traffic will be a complete mess when people return to work...... Which they will....
    There is complete ignorance of other road users when it comes to the council. Am I meant to take all my tools on the bus to work is it. (if I'm still an apprentice when all this covid shite is over).

Those cycle lanes with the bollards around Templeogue are very annoying. The reduce visibility. And where are you meant to pull in, if there is an ambulance. Which of course will now, also be slowed down by these new speed ramps at every bloody roundabout. Id say left turns for a lot of trucks and large vans have been made harder as well. With the drivers given the choice, of clipping the bollards are hitting someone in the other lane.

I've heard from cyclists as well, that its impossible to overtake a slow cyclist with these bollards. So even people with peddle power are not fans of this rubbish infrastructure.

I think they work in some circumstances, I cant remeber the name of the road now but just passed the entrance to the spa well, there are a couple of schools, GAA grounds etc a busy road, loads of kids etc, absolutly slow the traffic, give way to pedestrians and Cyclists and it makes sense, again this area has a massive green verge running down both sides so the narrowing of the traffic lane isnt really necessary and I would say increases the risk for the motorist of damaging the vehicle or clipping a cyclist.
    There is another pointless section at leanords corner heading into town, firstly before you get to the bridge the bus lane is restricted with bollards and if you're heading straight over the bridge you need to be in the left lane, almost impossible to safely change lanes there in a van, I cant look over my left shoulder as I would in a car or on a motorbike so IMO its increasing the risk of accidents x100 for all road users. As you go over the bridge the lane changes a few times before you get to the next junction, it's to narrow for the lane turning right and the lane going straight or left and as a driver you are trying to watch every bloody angle because, bus, bike Pedestrians etv are all heading into turn 1 together and it's only a matter of time before some one gets nailed.
    I'm telling you, those areas a very testing for even a driving god like me, I dread to think about some one like my mother who isnt a fantastic driver at the best of times. ( Sorry Mam)

So any way, I get that there are some reasons for these new obstacles to be placed in the road ways, but they are dangerouse in a lot of instances.
    And to get back to the OP
    The verge and footpaths along that stretch are more than adequate for the type of usage we have there with out making it more difficult for the motorist.
    Last edited by Rennwagen; 19-02-2021 at 01:09 AM.

The only thing I'm seeing in this thread are long lines of cars and vans spewing out NOx which will make those cycle lanes a very unpleasant place to be
    I'm with the resistance