Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buy it for life

Quote Originally Posted by DadsMorrisMinor View Post
    I did a fair bit of travelling in years gone by and given the current environment, it's nice to be able to remember some adventures - and this thread sparked a very fond memory from this time 10yrs ago.
    We were near the end of trip around parts of SE Asia - staying in Luang Prabang for a few weeks when I spotted a G Wagon parked up that looked 'out of place' with a temple in the background and a distinct lack of European motor vehicles around town. I hung around for a while, snooping at it, peering in the windows - it was decked out as a travel wagon, you could tell it was someone's home on the road. Then along came Gunther and his son Martin. They told me all about the adventures of this Wagon as it traversed the globe for over twenty years, at that stage. Initially Gunther and his wife began the adventure, but years later (after she succumbed to cancer) her son took up the adventure with Gunther.
    Anyway, what a gent. He had the roof rack full of spare parts (well some of the heavier kit was stowed in the back) and belongings and camping gear in the back - they often camped out - sometimes on the roof. Anyway, he told me that he was planning to bring the wagon back to the Merc Museum at some stage. I looked it up a while back (lockdown time and i found his full story here.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/lif...h-the-g-class/

Here's himself and Martin, with the legend wagon. Think it only did 900,000KM. I guess this could be my type of car for life !!
    https://ibb.co/pK7jCH6
    That's awesome. I'd love to trek around SE Asia at my leisure. Gunther gives me some hope that I can maybe squeeze it in before I'm too old!
    Reminds me of two lads, on not quite such an epic journey, using a Porsche 924. Roof rack attached, so they used to make a bed on it and sleep up top. Surprisingly practical cars toofahs and fofahs

I love this quote on the Mercedes website

"The engine and transmission showed him their gratitude in that they never needed replacing. “With one of today’s models that wouldn’t be possible any more,” he believes. “Too many electronic parts, too many fancy extras.” LOL

Dad bought a new w124 estate in 1990 for his 40th and still has it. Never missed a beat in 31 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    Dad bought a new w124 estate in 1990 for his 40th and still has it. Never missed a beat in 31 years.
    That's Class

Quote Originally Posted by TPaul View Post
    Id definitely be going with something from Japan but way too many cars to choose from
    I've thought about this a lot, and I think if I had free reign over the decision my forever car would be a Honda S660 out of Japan.
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Hard to think what I'd get based on the critria set out at the start of the thread, not just a lifer, but a lifer you put loads of miles on.

The combo of buy for life and high mileage don't entirely sit with me. It's not like I do a lot of mileage in the first place, but the stuff that would do any sort of mileage is just a tool really. You drive it, you keep it going til it breaks, then you decide if its worth repairing and get another one if not. In an ideal world, where your "daily" isn't even used daily, we'd all roll around in Crown Vics or something that we'd endlessly rebuild, but the world, and especially Ireland doesn't work that way.

Forever cars are more in the realm of stuff that ends up in the Garage, still used of course, but not something you have to depend on. If you have to depend on it, it will be gone the minute your needs change. Still needs to be something you can actually afford to keep running, can tinker with, and really really like in a totally gets under your skin despite its flaws way. I'm hoping the Cappuccino can be a forever car, but I've said that about stuff in the past so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by lightning View Post
    So he's the ****** who's been running them off the road!

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    I sold my 3.0L diesel XF back in November. I had convced myself I was going to keep it for ever (ish) and to that end spent about 4K fixing everything including electric handbrake and Aircon... nearly 2k between them. About 3 weeks after it was gone for another low mileage Jag..... just can’t bloody help myself when I see new shiny things
    LOL when I read this.
    Reminds me of guy who owns a discovery that cost around €500 every year, I call it Bonus breakdown money.

OP,
    I'd probably pick the E39 myself but the 530i
    The 2.8 was prone to nikasil issues early on and they didnt like mileage.
    A 530I E39 is a master peice, and a real high point for BMW. Parts are easily bought and replaced now aswell so if you had have bought one in 2003 and kept average milage you would be up around 270k klms, so only just Run in.
    Last edited by Rennwagen; 17-02-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    I've thought about this a lot, and I think if I had free reign over the decision my forever car would be a Honda S660 out of Japan.
    I change my mind a lot on stuff like this. If I had to choose it would be most likely be a Subaru Impreza, a special edition but not sure which one

1990 Subaru Legacy Wagon
    "The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines"