Page 1 of 150 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Pandemic - The New Hope

Covid-19 Pandemic - The New Hope

The other thread got very long. Time for a new one and let's hope for better times.
    I'm with the resistance

OpEn ThE pUbS!
    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Open the fu<king schools!! QUICK!!!
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Said Flet.....in a long time ago, in a thread far, far away.....

"Govt leaking now that this lockdown will go on until May. Looks like we've gone from telling the opposition that Zero Covid is unworkable to pursuing it."

I said this a few weeks ago.

I have to say I have reached a tipping point with this government, Leo in particular. I've done the full circle of being very glad early last year that it was him at the reigns and not David "ooh, ah, up the Ra" Cullinane but now every time he opens his mouth my arm makes involuntary twitching motions like I want to punch the TV. Lets be honest, they have made a catastrophic balls of this over the last six months, and look completely incompetent. We are now facing into a period where we should be feeling the worst is over with vaccination rolling out and a decent chunk of the population already having had this, but instead are getting daily bombardments promising restrictions longer than any we've had before. Even what we do manage to do, like the border controls seem to take absolutely forever to get them out of a committe and into legislation, a year into this ( i mean has nobody in the place had contingencies and been working on legislation just in case like), where other countries just do it. (this of course represents no slight whatsoever on the many public workers who are doing their damned best).

As regards thread title, I think an absolute turkey like The Phantom Menace would have been more appropriate for the clusterfvck we find ourselves in. You're in the cinema, you want to walk out, but the 6 year old you brought insists on staying to the end.

I'm generally quite optimistic but seeing articles about being in "a phase of indefinite lockdown" and restrictions on non essential travel going on "for the rest of the year and into next year" is not giving me warm and fuzzy feelings. One quoted MM "There will be zero wiggle room for anyone looking for relaxing of restrictions".

Any particular reason we're writing off the year that's just begun and already talking about restrictions in 2022? What happened to vaccines and hope?
    Current: '08 Mercedes-Benz C63 //AMG
    Previous: ‘08 BMW E92 ///M3
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E39 530i + ‘03 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster
    Previous: ‘07 BMW E92 335i
    Previous: ‘97 BMW E36 323i Coupé

Mehole was spouting on about no foreign travel for all of 2021 and possibly into 2022. I've been failry up beat but that definitely put a dampner on things.

Just get everyone vacinated, issue a cert or put a chip in me and let us get on with life or whatever the aftermath is?

Connected to this, I'll repost something I had in the previous thread;

In the USA, the CDC have said vaccinated people don't have to self-quarantine if they've been exposed/a close contact etc
    But only for a period of 3 months after their second jab.
    Once beyond the 3 month period if you're exposed or a close contact you need to quarantine/isolate for 14 days.
    https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...57b588a2a7379b

This obviously raises questions -- the first of which being if you're more than 3 months past your second jab and travel internationally then is there a chance mandatory quarantines etc will apply as much to vaccinated people as to those who are not vaccinated? Could be a scenario where all the talk of stuff like vaccination passports was/is meaningless...
    Be interesting to see how this develops over time....

Reading between the lines, and without putting a tinfoil hat on I suspect there's something we're not being told just yet and my suspicion is that data is showing the B117 strain and E484 mutation to be highly aggressive and that they make sensible measures that most people are now following like mask wearing/social distancing etc useless. We also have a fairly burnt out health service and a substantial % of healthcare workers off work for a variety of reasons, so the tanks are fairly dry. Even Michael Martin, usually upbeat and energetic looks worn down.

Which is why we're pretty much being confined to quarters and there's an abrupt shift to Zero Covid here and increased measures in previously 'flexible' countries like the UK and Germany. All the while the vaccine rollout drags on, which I have sympathy for because the scale of the manufacture and deployment is totally unprecedented and it is only natural that optimistic timelines slip.

But if there's a shift in the underlying assumptions and this is the case (and it may or may not be, I'm not an expert) I would like one of our politicians to just come out and say it. Instead there's this drip-fed garbage and the country turns on the news at night and to hear that the fine for travel went up to €2k and then opens this mornings papers to read that lockdown will go on past Easter. This is driving people around the bend.
    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring

Meanwhile over a thousand Brazilians arriving here are 'advised' to isolate! I assume these are beef barons workers

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/heal...rain-1.4461351

Quote Originally Posted by deltona View Post
    In the USA, the CDC have said vaccinated people don't have to self-quarantine if they've been exposed/a close contact etc
    But only for a period of 3 months after their second jab.
    Once beyond the 3 month period if you're exposed or a close contact you need to quarantine/isolate for 14 days.
    https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...57b588a2a7379b
    Ah FFS! So now I'll need to schedule jabs with travel dates if we are ever allowed to leave this island?