Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tax Arrears refund scenario from new car purchase question.

you dont get to own a 70k car by not watching where the 79 euros go lads.
    Don't bother with Eco, it's not very nice, leave it in normal & drive it like you just stole it.

Did you view the car at all Richie, or was it bought over the phone/Internet sight unseen?

Quote Originally Posted by Twinspark View Post
    You're attributing more credit to the brand than it deserves I think. The worst kind of brash narcissists work in places like this.

Lesson digested I reckon Richey, the brand doesn't give a flying fig about you other than your access to credit to sign over to them. You'd get better treatment from a niche provider more interested in retention than metrics.

If you don't get a senior phonecall and a complimentary service, or similar gesture, you know the score.
    In summary, buy a TVR as the saying goes.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRA View Post
    Did you view the car at all Richie, or was it bought over the phone/Internet sight unseen?
    Bought over the phone / YouTube videos etc.
    I placed a lot of trust in them as we bought from them before.

I couldnít travel as it was in a different county.

Quote Originally Posted by richeyc2000 View Post
    Bought over the phone / YouTube videos etc.
    I placed a lot of trust in them as we bought from them before.

I couldn’t travel as it was in a different county.
    Due to that fact, I'd say you're well within your rights to send the car back as per your cooling off period.

See if they change their tune when they're faced with either a good will gesture or a 70k car back on the lot with another owner.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ng_online.html
    Last edited by JohnRA; 04-02-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Look regardless of the cost of the thing, there is a principal here that OP is not happy about. But saying that they handed the car over on the 28th of Jan so you took ownership then and as such need to tax from then. Do you not have time though for the 10 days declaration off the road, 28th was 7 days ago? Happened me with car bought in dealers, was a UK car so was to be taxed from date the registered it. I taxed it on the day I collected it (31st March) but was a hybrid so only €170 per year so was not worried about it. Take it the Q7 was Irish car from new?

They should have handled it better or been more upfront about that, but best thing is just to pay it and forget about it and enjoy the new car. At most maybe call/email manager and see if they will do any goodwill gesture, if you want to take it further.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgti View Post
    Look regardless of the cost of the thing, there is a principal here that OP is not happy about. But saying that they handed the car over on the 28th of Jan so you took ownership then and as such need to tax from then.
    But he didn't have to tax it If the dealer had advised correctly, he could have had the car declared off the road for the end of Jan and incurred no penalty. I think the salesman was shonky here - he should have advised exactly how to have it declared off-road knowing that's what the OP wanted essentially.

A declaration of non-use must be made during the last month of a current vehicle licence or a previously made
    declaration of non-use and must be furnished to a licensing authority in advance of the commencement of the
    proposed period of non-use of the vehicle. There are exceptions in the case of a declaration of non-use immediately
    following registration of a new/imported vehicle or immediately following purchase of a second-hand vehicle (see
    section 2 below).

• Part B only when making a declaration of non-use of a new/imported vehicle immediately following registration.
    The period of non-use must commence in the month in which the vehicle is registered.
    The declaration must be completed and furnished within 21 days of the date the vehicle was registered – this will be
    checked against the information provided to the National Vehicle and Driver File by the Revenue Commissioners.

• Part C only when making a declaration of non-use immediately following the purchase of a second-hand vehicle.
    The period of non-use must commence in the month in which the transfer of vehicle ownership took place.
    The declaration must be completed and furnished within 21 days of the date of sale given on the Notification of
    Transfer of Vehicle Ownership – this will be checked against the information on the Notification submitted to the
    National Vehicle and Driver File by the seller of the vehicle.

Deleted in response to mod request
    Last edited by rhysmate; 04-02-2021 at 03:40 PM.

Ask them for a cheque for €79 quid then, threaten action over it as it's the principle of the thing etc.
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

OK I have no idea what the Gofundme is about - it seems to be mocking in tone which is obviously not acceptable. Please take that down. As far as I am concerned if there is money there, it now belongs to RicheyC so well done. I trust it will be given to him as that's the basis on which it's been raised.

Secondly and more importantly, we're fortunate to have members whose cars cost €1 and whose cars cost north of €100,000. The uniting factor is that we're all petrolheads, and you'll find that enthusiasm for a car often matters more than the sticker price. What I'm saying is that it's very much not OK to make nasty comments because someone has spent a significant amount of money on a car. The question asked is legitimate. It reflects badly on posters and the site if you think that buying a relatively expensive car makes someone fair game for sniping.

I'm going to prune some of the comments in this thread now. If you've nothing constructive to share, please refrain from sharing.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)