Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tax Arrears refund scenario from new car purchase question.

Tax Arrears refund scenario from new car purchase question.

Question for the good people here.
    I purchased a car on the 25th Jan and took delivery on the 28th. I asked the Audi dealer not to send the log book until Monday the 1st Feb (last payment would have only gone through then) as I would get caught with arrears for January as the log book would never make it to Shannon and back to me before the end of January.

Low and behold the log book comes today 3rd Feb and Iím hit with a Ä79 arrears for January as I am taxing it in February.

Itís left a bitter taste in my mouth and has taken some of the sheen off from what was a seamless experience, my traded in car is giving them close to a possible Ä5k profit from what they paid me. Thatís what they advertised it ontop of paid price.

I believe the sales guy knew this was going to be the case anyway and wanted a sale in January to say how well he did for the month.

I emailed him directly about getting hit for arrears when I could never have taxed it in time and his response was

ďI couldnít get it over to your name from February as it had already been put into your name by the time we were discussing it.

My vehicle admin was looking for ways around it but no joy.Ē

Iíve paid the arrears as I need to tax it but I feel like I was taken for a fool now and Iím disappointed in myself for not holding off but also disappointed by the manner in which it happened.

I know itís Ďonlyí Ä79 but itís such a waste of my money which could have been avoided.
    I personally feel they should reimburse me Ä79.

What would you do or have you come across this before?

Thanks

Richie

It was registered in January, should’ve waited until February 1st as the car was in your name and not a Dealer pre reg special.
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Did you tax it today? You have 10 days from date of purchase to declare it off the road and then could have taxed it from 1st Feb.

While itís annoying to have to tax a car for a month when you only used it for a day or two, thereís no reason for the garage to do it. They would have just stuck to their process and put all the paperwork through on the sale date and move on.

With respect to you old car, a Ä5k markup isnít huge once prep, discount, warranty, profit and VAT are taken into account.
    Last edited by JohnH; 04-02-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Did you tax it today? You have 10 days from date of purchase to declare it off the road and then could have taxed it from 1st Feb.

While itís annoying to have to tax a car for a month when you only used it for a day or two, thereís no reason for the garage to do it. They would have just stuck to their process and put all the paperwork through on the sale date and moved on.

With respect to you old car a Ä5k markup isnít huge once prep, discount, warranty, profit and VAT are taken into account.
    I did not know I had 10 days. Feck it. Too late now. I donít change cars too often so I missed that detail.

I just feel a bit duped by the garage knowing it could never have made it back nor told me I had 10 days to declare it off the road etc.

I only mention the Ä5k thing as the sales guy knew I was going to get stung and appears to not give a care even after I emailed him to say about it today. He knew it was too late even before then.

I didnít mind taxing it even though it was only foe 1/2 days for the month. Itís the arrears that killed me.

If Iíd know it was too late I would have cancelled the last payment and taken the Ä79 off and resent it again!!!

Thanks for the good information.
    Last edited by richeyc2000; 04-02-2021 at 09:03 AM.

While I understand your frustration, think of what you were asking the garage to do. I would imagine that although it's pretty common practice, it's also quite risky on their part from a legal point of view, especially as a business. I definitely wouldn't ask them to pay it, as all they have to do is forward your email on to revenue and you'd probably end up with significantly more to pay.

It's one of those things that if a garage is willing to do it, great. If not, I definitely wouldn't complain about it or push it any further.

€79 arrears doesn’t sound like a diesel so... what did you buy?
    I'm with the resistance

I bought a Audi Q7 to get the 3rd child seat into it.

I suppose my point is I didnít Ďowní it until the last payment when through which was Monday 1st Feb.
    If I didnít pay it they wouldnít be long saying itís not my car and look for payment but they were happy to say it was my car for all other purposes.

Would anyone here sell a car and send off the log book before being fully paid!!!

I know itís not a big sum of money but itís a pure waste of my money and I feel duped and thatís not the feeling I want when sitting in the new to me machine.

I should just lock this thread up as itís probably doing me no good festering on it. I just needed a bit of a rant.
    Last edited by richeyc2000; 04-02-2021 at 09:38 AM.

79 euro is not the end of the world. Ive 2 cars that i missed the off road stamp last year and i effectively have to sell them as there is still no work around for this with the tax office. If you miss the off road declaration you need to pay any arrears & tax the car. There is no option to even pay the arrears and then declare it off the road. The nice lady in the tax office just said try selling it to your wife and by it back immediately.

The logbook wouldn't be sent off Richey. Once the deal is done, the salesperson hands it over to the admin and they do the change of ownership on motortrans.

The car is then in your name 24 hours later.

In saying that, they could have given you the heads up it was done so you could declare it off the road for the remainder of Jan and tax it in Feb.

Edit: It was definitely done to get a deal over the line in January. Most likely to ensure commission and bonus. If it's the you-know-who group, one salesperson not hitting their KPI means the entire sales team won't get their bonus. It also means the sales manager bonus suffers. There's a good case they were overruled or told to put the deal through.

Strictly speaking, ownership shouldn't have been changed until your last payment on 1st Feb.

Stick your reg in here and check when they changed ownership and go from there. https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/changeVehicleDetails.do
    Last edited by JohnRA; 04-02-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Bit harsh. It's still €79 he might not have spent.
    I think he said himself the issue was possibly as much about the salesman telling porkies.
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - Daily Driver
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo
    2002 Alfa 166 2.0 Blu Odissea - Donor-currently dismantling
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - The Beast - resting for now
    2000 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Auto Verde Argo - the Baby
    2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed Sportwagon Vela Blu
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper - the other Baby