Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VRT - Timing classic presentation just right

VRT - Timing classic presentation just right

Looking for some first hand experience of this from anyone here if they don't mind sharing (or PM etc.). I've been told this works, had a read of the revenue guidance and even some of the legal text but I'd feel extra happy if there was a first had experience story from one or two folk here.

Has anyone brought a 29 year old car in, and intentionally not presented it for VRT until it was 30 (by date of first registration). If yes, was the late presentation fee calculated as a Vintage category vehicle, or as a Category A motorcar?

Thinking of rolling the dice on something. Category A based fine wouldn't be outrageous I guess, but I'd prefer to avoid it.

Store it in UK. I did, the wait while agonising at times was ok, as it constantly felt like a new car just purchased feel for longer than normal.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Was that a stop off on the way from Japan miller, or a UK sourced car?

I've the storage priced, the 29 year old car VRT guesstimated and I'm just wondering if there's a good old Irish *wink wink* option as it'd work out the cheapest

Or do I just have patience and wait for a '91 to pop up

You big fcukin tease D

Like you’re thinking and hope it works out.

At least give us fwd/red/awd to narrow the guess work?

Are you aware of all of the ridiculous costs associated with importing now - VAT/Duty on top of VRT now?

Technically VRT is determined on the date it is presented for registration so you should be fine (put the late fines which are pennies for classics). However I haven't found anyone online who has been in this situation!

Is the car coming from Uk or Japan?, if Japan I would keep it out of UK as you probably would be paying duty on Uk to Ireland and vat on import twice.

Thanks everyone. Don't want to jinx anything Foyler until a deal is done, I have some criteria written down and what used to be considered a healthy budget. But the market has gone a little crazy, so trying to figure out where my level is at these days.

markb, the "date of presentation" is the bit that caught my eye in the VRT texts too. I've had a good tip by PM too on that point. Still no first hand experience from anyone that I can find. And yes, aware of all the payments required. Big change for UK cars, same old story for Japan.

KevinC, Japan seems to make most sense now. I was searching hard in UK pre-Brexit but until the market corrects there post brexit the cars there are priced out I think. The UK classic registration loophole that was being used for cars coming from Japan is closed now too unfortunately, but got to just work with the system that applies right now.

Still interested if anyone has first hand experience of the late presentation. I'd quite happily park it up for a few months on arrival

The evolving import duty thing occurred to me in the middle of the night, in respect of Japanese imports. I suppose a used JDM yoke is unquestionably properly Japanese WRT rules of origin, so exempt from 10% import duty under the latest rules?

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Was that a stop off on the way from Japan miller, or a UK sourced car?

I've the storage priced, the 29 year old car VRT guesstimated and I'm just wondering if there's a good old Irish *wink wink* option as it'd work out the cheapest

Or do I just have patience and wait for a '91 to pop up
    No, UK car. Stored in UK. waited i think 11months. It landed on Irish soil on its exact 30th birthday. See my E28 thread....

http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showt...?14435-Bmw-E28

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    Thanks everyone. Don't want to jinx anything Foyler until a deal is done, I have some criteria written down and what used to be considered a healthy budget. But the market has gone a little crazy, so trying to figure out where my level is at these days.

markb, the "date of presentation" is the bit that caught my eye in the VRT texts too. I've had a good tip by PM too on that point. Still no first hand experience from anyone that I can find. And yes, aware of all the payments required. Big change for UK cars, same old story for Japan.

KevinC, Japan seems to make most sense now. I was searching hard in UK pre-Brexit but until the market corrects there post brexit the cars there are priced out I think. The UK classic registration loophole that was being used for cars coming from Japan is closed now too unfortunately, but got to just work with the system that applies right now.

Still interested if anyone has first hand experience of the late presentation. I'd quite happily park it up for a few months on arrival
    A friend of mine did when he miscalculated his dates and ended up with a 29 year old MK2 Golf instead of a 30 year old. He stored it at home and cleared before the end of the year after it turned 30. He was lucky as VRT office was assessing based on date of presentation due to COVID, that is closed I think now but could return depending on how things go.
    Last edited by KevinC; 15-01-2021 at 02:49 PM.