Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: learning CAD from scratch

2021-01-13 17_30_54-Window.jpg Linus tech have a link to VIP access to solid works that might be interest to some people here
    https://www.facebook.com/LinusTech/p...30136557082764

Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Student licenses are where this is at. You need to find a Hot female student in need of beer tokens .....
    Ahem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
    Ahem.....
    Can for see your Cad skills being abysmal so

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by conneem View Post

I've seen on cad forums that many clubs/associations have deals with Solidworks also. For example if you join the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) you get a license to Solidworks Education Edition for personal use. The education edition is fully featured but leaves a watermark on saved files, probably not a problem for your use. It's only $40 to join the EAA, so probably the cheapest way to get your hands on Solidworks.
    Note that I've not gone through the process of joining the EAA myself but it seems pretty straightforward.

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membersh...works-standard
    I posted this earlier but in case some missed it.

For 40 bucks you get a legal license of the Education edition of Solidworks.

Revit and BIM is where the money is at if its a career path you are looking to go down.

I know guys who are quite successful in this area and self thought themselves using youtube and practice alongside perseverance.
    Most were coming from a CAD background which helped but very different platforms.

Revit is a fantastic tool and I was only scratching the surface of its functionality. We also use Inventor to take AutoCAD into the production cycle.

Regards
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by hogster View Post
    Revit and BIM is where the money is at if its a career path you are looking to go down.

I know guys who are quite successful in this area and self thought themselves using youtube and practice alongside perseverance.
    Most were coming from a CAD background which helped but very different platforms.
    Yep, we cant Revit Modellers for love nor money. Or we can but their real world experience is absolutely shocking!

I've touched on Revit a bit, would love to give it more time. BIM is an all encompassing term for full concept/funding/construction/build/operate rather than a design modelling programme.

Having had years of experience using many different programmes ( cad / autosprink / microstation / cadworx / pds etc. and currently using revit ) the only advice i would give is to try to determine as best you can what it is you would like to get out of whatever programme you decide to go for.
    I started using cad from an "acquired" version out of curiosity when i was in secondary school and got interested in creating 3D objects and models which has led me to what i'm working at now.
    Do you want to allow for making a career out of this, or is it simply to create a few parts to your own dimensions?
    If it were me now talking to my younger self I would be looking at revit as this does seem to be making ground as the dominant program for co-ordination but this is only relevant to the sector I am in and may not be best across the board.