Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braded brake lines for roads car

Braded brake lines for roads car

Yea or nea ? i need to replace my brake lines and thought it a good time to upgrade. Car is a 95% city commuter and other half drives as well, is it a worthy upgrade, waste of time or anything i need ot know about ? I would like to track car at some stage but not likely this year.
    Was looking at 'Hel performance' kits and there no far off stand brake line prices , could get black ones for OEM/NCT looks
    Mk5 Golf GTI

I've have HEL braided lines on my car for the last 14 years. Do they make a difference and how much of a difference?? I'm not sure as I changed calipers/ disks/ pads at the same time when I fitted the braided lines.
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

no harm in sticking them on as you need to replace yours anyway, just get a black or grey colour so they dont stand out to much to attract attention from NCT testers, , slightly firmer pedal feel is all your might notice
    335i #Team500

I had them on one car that needed new lines. I found that they made a difference, give a nice more immediate bite when you brake. But that is subjective I guess.

ok cheers for feed back guys

dont buy cheap ebay lines..... too many stories of them bursting....

Personally I would not fit them to a road car unless you want to keep a regular check on their condition . The quality of some of them is hit and miss too .. hoses too long or short causing fouling , holders and brackets not in the correct areas leaving them twisted causing coatings and braid to fail ... and thats when they are fitted correctly too. Their small benefits on a road car do not outweigh their potential pitfalls in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    dont buy cheap ebay lines..... too many stories of them bursting....
    And be extra careful about routing/positioning them correctly for no rubbing at full lock/during suspension travel - regular rubber ones are quite forgiving (usually long enough for an inspection to detect issues), but the braid fails quicker when rubbed, and the inner rubber will then fail pretty soon after (not internally reinforced).

Edit: what D_K said too - remember that a track/racing car gets inspected very regularly by default - if you fit them, be prepared to step up your inspection game if required.
    Last edited by Type17; 07-01-2021 at 12:45 PM.

I'd stay away from aftermarket braided lines on a road application too. The "benefit" with cold fluid as in a road car application is absolutely marginal if it exists at all, but there are increased risks.

Track, race or competition car stuff, for cars that get fully checked over after every hour of use.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    I'd stay away from aftermarket braided lines on a road application too. The "benefit" with cold fluid as in a road car application is absolutely marginal if it exists at all, but there are increased risks.
    Same. I had them on an old MX5 and a Clio 172 and found little difference bar perhaps more immediate bite. But as dimitri says, the possible risks outweighed any potential rewards. I think on the road, brake feel and gradual travel & application trump immediacy.
    Last edited by Flet; 07-01-2021 at 01:43 PM.
    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
    2000 Mazda MX-5 1.8 Jasper Conran #68/400
    2003 BMW 325i E46 Sport Touring