Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UK car inspection and purchasing - as a service

UK car inspection and purchasing - as a service

So, you've found a car you think you want to buy in the UK but you're;

- Mid pandemic, and don't fancy travelling and bringing home more than just the car.
    - Reasonably wary of the seller after a google.
    - Not liking what the combination of reduced flights and Christmas proximity is doing to travel costs.

Is there an inspection, purchase & delivery service provider out there and does anyone have experience of working with one?

I realise this sort of thing comes at a cost, and I do love the experience of heading over and doing a deal followed by the bonding road trip home with the new car. But I'm thinking it may be the best way to play it this time.

http://www.car-transport-services.co.uk/

Robin Hunter will inspect, report back and bid on your behalf, collect & deliver UK mainland and comes well recommended.

Every used car dealer in Ireland + 20%, lol.

No doubt the above + deliver to Liverpool docks.
    I'm with the resistance

I'm contemplating a last ditch trip to the UK too. I don't think I could be a car unseen unless it was an appliance car or nearly new one from a reputable/main dealer.

I just had a look at flights and ferries and they are cheap to reasonable. Pandemic wise I'm not as concerned the flights/airports are empty these days. I think you can keep your interactions very limited. Probably more risk going to a busy supermarket.

https://m.mintco.uk/ for inspection. Will do the rest too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I'm contemplating a last ditch trip to the UK too. I don't think I could be a car unseen unless it was an appliance car or nearly new one from a reputable/main dealer.

I just had a look at flights and ferries and they are cheap to reasonable. Pandemic wise I'm not as concerned the flights/airports are empty these days. I think you can keep your interactions very limited. Probably more risk going to a busy supermarket.
    A friend of mine came back from Barcelona two weeks ago. The airport had all the 2m social distancing, queue to scan your ticket- 2m social distancing.......... and then everyone was crammed onto a shuttle bus and driven to the plane. And then it was a free for all trying to get a space for your carry on bag as the plane was full. And then landed this side, and back to 2m social distancing when you step foot in the airport.
    To be honest if I was after a specific car I would go and just use common sense of no touching your face/ clean hands etc.
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Ive travelled a lot in the last few weeks. Plenty of regulations in place, nothing untoward so just go for it! Be sensible, santise, wash hands and wear mask....

none of this Irish hypocritical curtain twitching shite abroad, everyone just getting on with it.

I'm just in the process of buying something from the UK, but have decided not to travel.
    Main dealer, warranty and their own delivery has made things easier.

I made a number of calls on the transport side of things, and got warned off multi-car transporters if indeed the car is something 'special', and in fairness found good transport options for one-off transport pretty reasonable. But wasn't looking for inspection.

Feels very alien not seeing / feeling / poking the car myself first, but mechanically I was happy, cosmetically they gave me enough high-res photos to convince me. They are all doing remote click'n'collect so seemed to be used to extra effort involved.

The dealer I bought off seems to have had a fraud scare, so was very reluctant to hand the car over to someone who wasn't me, or arrange meeting at the docks. So keep that in mind if they seem funny with any arrangements.

The bit that put me off travelling was just the proximity to Christmas and some family birthdays. No matter what the risk is right now, I didn't want to risk family-imposed quarantine, or putting stress or anxiety on my family if they think I'm 'unclean'.

I'm missing the buzz of the road trip and sussing out a new car, but fingers crossed!

You’re all giving me bad ideas lads but for Jaysus sakes at least give us some hints!
    Report back D if you do get a reasonable solution, be a good option to have.

I hope you guys are bringing in proper impossible to sell once landlocked in Ireland cars that I can pick up later for less with none of the hassle?
    I'm with the resistance