Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing a car from N.I Jan 2021

Importing a car from N.I Jan 2021

I am seeing a lot of posts that all imports from uk(incl NI) will have VAT from jan 1st so everyone is trying to last minute car shopping.

As far as I can see this is not the case as NI has a special exemption and remains as an honorary member of EU vat area so movements from NI to ROI wonít get hit with vat.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-tr...ues/index.aspx

This is good news as Iím sure some of the creative entrepreneurs up north will devise a a legal way to bring a car from GB to NI (sea border so paperwork needed and I am sure some sort of restriction on the car leaving NI) and then we can buy it from them with none of the VAT. NI traders are going to do well out of this.

Or am I missing something?

That is my understanding too but I think it has to be an original NI car or have been imported into NI before 31 December.

I think as it stands, people in NI will also need to pay VAT as they are importing into the EU just like we would. There was link to some news article in the north about traders complaining about this, for understandable reasons.
    I'm with the resistance

It was a BBC article I think about NI dealers importing from the UK being liable for VAT.

I suspect the car will need to have been registered in NI and have an NI V5 at the minimum before it can enter the Republic VAT and duty free. The question is will there be a teim limit on it how long it must be registered in NI or will any previoulsy registered UK vehicle be hit?? I haven't seen anything to clarifty this yet.

One of the spcifics of the withdrawal agreement was to stop UK goods entering the EU via NI and I don't see cars having an easy way around it but I could be wrong.

My guess for what it's worth is the car will need to be original NI car or else registered to an NI address prior to 31st January as hooch mentioned, so not much benefit really if your only in the market next year.

Reason the 'loophole' probably won't work is NI will likely have to pay VAT on UK imports so whether it comes direct to the south or through the North vat will apply somewhere

Off course all the above is based on current literature which isn't that clear to begin with!

Funnily enough I've only ever imported cars from Northern Ireland so... I have a feeling this is going to have SFA impact on my life.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC1 View Post
    My guess for what it's worth is the car will need to be original NI car or else registered to an NI address prior to 31st January as hooch mentioned, so not much benefit really if your only in the market next year.

Reason the 'loophole' probably won't work is NI will likely have to pay VAT on UK imports so whether it comes direct to the south or through the North vat will apply somewhere

Off course all the above is based on current literature which isn't that clear to begin with!
    I would guess there will be some way to claim back that UK VAT as long as the car stays in NI for say 12 months to keep the lads in NI happy, like here where you can get the VRT exemption if coming home from abroad but cant sell the car for 12 months without paying a penalty.

I suspect that the fact that people and dealers in the North will be unlikely to bring cars over from the 'mainland' and that Southerners will only be able to import from the North will drive prices up in the 6 counties. It will effectively have a separate market to the UK.

My understanding of the Vat on imports from 3rd countries which the UK will become in January is that vat and duty will only be due on goods that have not had duties paid in the EU so that means all goods pre 2021 will not have any vat or duties

For example , Right now if you buy a BMW , Scania or Goods from china , USA , Russia etc that was first sold in the EU and duties were paid in the EU at the time then no Vat or duty would apply on return to the EU so used Private cars or goods pre January 2021 from the UK should not be subject to vat or duty

Quote Originally Posted by Porscheman View Post
    My understanding of the Vat on imports from 3rd countries which the UK will become in January is that vat and duty will only be due on goods that have not had duties paid in the EU so that means all goods pre 2021 will not have any vat or duties

For example , Right now if you buy a BMW , Scania or Goods from china , USA , Russia etc that was first sold in the EU and duties were paid in the EU at the time then no Vat or duty would apply on return to the EU so used Private cars or goods pre January 2021 from the UK should not be subject to vat or duty
    That would be the logical thinking. But currently its computer says no as far as revenue are concerned. There will be EU VAT and duty on everything imported from UK regardless of previous eu vat payment. That's their current stance from the few brexit customs revenue presentations I've seen. But it could all change in a months time if there's a deal or not. So no point worrying about it yet.