Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So. Are our nice cars worth a fortune now?

So. Are our nice cars worth a fortune now?

After decades of us petrol heads being the "difficult" cousins at the family table, driving older reg, not diesels, and inexplicably flagellating ourselves with wholly avoidable motor tax rates are we finally seeing some public, and market, recognition?
    Seems now that having a petrol car is akin to arriving at the dry house party at 10pm with a slab of Linden Village and a couple of share bags of Doritos.

So. Is it time to cash in and then sit on your chips for 6 to 8 months or whenever things might return to normal? I'm looking at 18 year old s3's priced at 7500 and heart rending "want' ads for cars you couldn't give away 12 months ago?!
    Is this our Backroads bitcoin bubble? I know for sure that lads are busy salting, smoking and pickling every fresh petrol they can gather up and dry lining block sheds in the Granny's gaff down the country in anticipation of the electrification of motoring Ireland.
    I've never re-sold a car for anything other than a laugh-out-loud loss but every dog has it's day. 15 grand for my Audi then anyone?!

I have a 2001 ford Puma Rally car on uk plates, €28k if any one fancies a bargain.

Well if 12 year old 1.2 fiat 500's are €4950!

I've been watching the market and it's absolutely nuts, average looking cars listed for big money selling very very fast. Is this a sign of things to come in a post-Brexit Ireland? Reminds me a little of the Australian market at the moment, except V8 Commodores and Falcons are replaced by GTDs and 320d's....

I am tempted to throw mine up for silly
    Money and see where it takes me. But then what do I go buy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My half sorted V12 Biturbo must be worth 125k now at least. That's probably still leads than 50% of list? Any takers?

Are TVRs going up?
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Quote Originally Posted by Bazg2 View Post
    Are TVRs going up?
    I hope so!

It's an interesting one for sure but then the market effects th buyer and the seller , so if we sell our nice cars for more money we also have to pay more money to replace it with something nice.

It doesn't look like it'll drop off , sure COVID and people having a few quid extra is adding to it but also with Brexit looming , VRT , Customers , VAT , NOX charges unless a deal is struck or the government look's at taking steps to reducing these it won't be viable to buy anything in the UK anymore which will push the value of the nice cars we already have over here up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanfaf View Post
    I am tempted to throw mine up for silly
    Money and see where it takes me. But then what do I go buy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is the question, absolutely. There's no value in selling into a distorted market if you're going to buy again in the same market. You'd have to be prepared to gamble on the market correcting itself post Brexit and covid.