Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog advice

Dog advice

We are moving house soon and my kids have wanted a dog for years but we never really had the space. The new house has plenty and being i always had a dog as a kid I think its good for my kids to have a dog. My wife has a fear of dogs after being bitten as a kid, she has agreed she needs to get over this. So i need to look at a dog thats medium to small. The problem i have for 1 or 2 days a week the dog will need to be left alone at home for 8 ish hrs. Im not exactly keen cos of that but if i can get a vreed that doesnt mind that. So can anyone recommend a suitable breed?

Best thing to do is visit the local dog shelter, (DSPCA in Dublin ) where you can foster a dog for a few weeks at a time. If the dog suits you keep it, if not you can return it and take another.
    We did it a few years ago, we took a little terrier who had an awful start to life, a nervouse wreck, still is but very clever, obedient and a great little Guard dog when some one knocks.
    I didnt want a dog in the house to be honest but over the years iv grown found of him.
    Dont be fooled and think the Dog will be the responsibility of the Children.
    Especially if your missus is afraid of them.
    Last edited by Rennwagen; 08-11-2020 at 01:01 AM.

The big issue with dogs, if you're not anyway aware, is that values have soared in line with Honda S2000s, so even a basic Labrador LX model is about 17,000 euro now, if you can even find one.

We'd like a dog too, the kids are well old enough to actually be responsible for one, but mid lockdown and pre Christmas is a bad time to be shopping!

Before you get the dog make sure your entire boundary is fenced in properly,or have a dedicated pen.If they get out and get knocked down or get in trouble you won't forgive yourself.

Keep in mind that a dog is a pack animal, you will be it's wolf pack. That means it should spend it's time in the house with you and not dumped out in the garden all day and night.
    Deadly Dave

Smaller breeds will be OK at home all day. My parents and uncle both have westies which sleep literally all day. I’ve often come home during the day to find the westie completley dazed and confused after just waking up.

On the other hand bigger more energetic breeds will demand company and exercise or they will tear the house apart. Our husky pup is getting used to spending a couple of hours alone, he has so far eaten a hall table and torn up the carpet on the first step of the stairs while we were out along with numerous holes dug in the back garden due to boredom.

Avoid any breed that has any relation to a working dog and you should be fine. Dogs are great, I couldn’t imagine not having one now and I’m always disappointed when I arrive home and the dog isn’t there.
    Poor punctuation and spelling via iPhone keyboard & odd words here and there via autocorrect

We got a 'covid dog' back in April, a beautiful wee Lab called Chewie. He was 8 weeks old when I picked him up. Saw him in his litter and got to meet his mum and dad. He was the calmest and most laid back of the litter. I was advised to go for the calm one as hyperactive ones are great fun but, do you really want a mental pup that will yap 24/7? No.

The first few weeks were exactly like having a newborn child. Midnight screams, piss and shite everywhere. Be prepared for that, it's not easy. Top tip - I put an Amazon Echo beside his crate so I could 'drop in' to it in the middle of the night and tell him to STFU. It worked.

He is now an inseparable member of the family. Comes with me everywhere, does not take his eyes off me. Constantly looking to me for direction, eager to please. Very clever and stubborn wee shite, knows what you want him to do. It's amazing how we communicate.

Bit of heartbreak at the moment as he is actually sick and with the Vet overnight. He got really lethargic, off his food and seemed to be having real trouble taking a piss. They x-rayed him and found a 'mass' beside his bladder. Waiting on the results of the blood+piss tests.

Another top tip - get insurance. The bills can mount up very quickly.

Hopefully you get the right results Pearse and it's nothing major.

Dogs really are a great addition to any family and they usually don't take too long to take it over as well

Well aware of the practicalities of owning a dog etc its more finding a dog breed that is happy to spend some time alone. I dont like the idea of it but if we do get one there will be 1 or 2 days a week that the dog will spend the day by itself due to work patterns etc If I cant find one then Im not going to put a dog through it just to have one.

Based on personal experience I wouldn’t be too worried about leaving a dog on its own for one or two days, we’ve a very active high energy dog and before lockdown he’d be on his own 2 days a week - he did and does get loads of exercise and we’ve a big garden (we live out the country so we’ve a decent plot and lots of forests, bogs we can walk to from house and dog is off lead a lot). As long as the dog gets lots of exercise and is tired for the days they’re their on they’re own they should be ok, I’m sure some breeds are better than others so worth researching in more detail
    Definitely better to have two dogs but I’d strongly advise against getting two pups at the same time based on research and hearing other people’s experiences

There are thing you can do to keep the dog occupied too, put food in packaging that takes a while to get out, bones and probably other ideas if you research it