Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Surveyors

Building Surveyors

Thought this is probably the best place for this but move it if it's not

So we're buying a house in Ashford in Wicklow and looking to get a surveyor, just wondering if anyone could recommend someone and any tips for what I should make sure to get checked

How thorough is a surveyor, knowing when looking over a car for someone or getting someone to look over one there's obviously stuff that gets missed so just wondering what the likelyhood is of a surveyor of missing something massive? Like how thorough are they?

As always, any help appreciated
    "750 hp, on a car that i presume still has leaf springs and no seatbelts?
    I suppose if you want to go out like a man there is no better option" -hi-rev

Get your Car mechanic to do it, it wont cost as much and will be equally as effective.

I paid an architect to do a survey on a house a couple of years ago, 1960's built house. He supplied a full report, photos etc. and list of what he thought needed to be done to it. I was happy with the report until I found an asbestos soil vent pipe that he should have spotted as it was attached to the outside of the back wall.

I would be more inclined to go to an Architect, Engineer or Builder than a surveyor.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I used a surveyor and got a massive 20 page report and a bundle of photos. I used it when making my offer on the gaff. The auctioneer said it was a biggest report that he had ever seen for a 2nd hand house.....

The detail was savage and realistically nothing needed to be done. It depends who you get to do it really. Fella I had was into the crawl spaces, up ladders, down drains, nail pops on walls..... Savage job

I have no details for him and can't remember his name as it was 10 years ago. I'd go by recommendation of you can. It'll all depend on who ya get.

would a good builder not be a better plan??

Structural survey all the way. Costs a lot more, but is so worth it in terms of issues raised.

They will look at the planning, compliance, fire safety, pyrite issues, construction work, settling, drainage, etc, etc all the other stuff you would never think of.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    I used a surveyor and got a massive 20 page report and a bundle of photos. I used it when making my offer on the gaff. The auctioneer said it was a biggest report that he had ever seen for a 2nd hand house.....

The detail was savage and realistically nothing needed to be done. It depends who you get to do it really. Fella I had was into the crawl spaces, up ladders, down drains, nail pops on walls..... Savage job

I have no details for him and can't remember his name as it was 10 years ago. I'd go by recommendation of you can. It'll all depend on who ya get.
    Haha response of the thread, I was like "Yes!! this is the guy" then completely let down when it was yonks ago so no details

Ste, yeah that's the sort of thing I'm wondering, it seems there's a varying amount of what people actually cover. One chap we talked to just seemed to say he'd wander round the gaff and see if he saw anything

Ray, that's exactly the type of thing I'm dredding, like I know the house can't be deconstructed and inspected to that level but it's the big obvious things that you want to tick the box on. Be so frustrating find out something like that after having someone who should be able to spot these things miss it.

Mick, when it comes to this I'm an absolute noob, it's one of those things where people say you get a "survey" done but I think I'm starting to realise that's quite a loosed undefined term.

Jeremy I think that's where we're probably going to go, thanks to this thread I reckon I have a feel now for just asking exactly what I want covered, probably another grand over the standard ask but in the risk vs reward it's probably worth it. I sorta feel like someone not knowing about cars going to buy one blind as opposed to where at least I'm comfortable giving something a once over (and then curse myself for missing the obvious big things afterwards )

Gonna do more digging now and see what I come up with, nice one for all the replies!!
    "750 hp, on a car that i presume still has leaf springs and no seatbelts?
    I suppose if you want to go out like a man there is no better option" -hi-rev

All any report will ever be is a visual, it will usually clearly state that on any report issued.
    If it's in Dublin I will do one FOC if you like.
    The only thing you might gain is to use it as a bargaining tool if you make an offer but good luck with that, the Agent will just magic up another bidder and raise the value accordingly.
    Jesus I am ever the pessimist.....
    I bought 2 houses, I didnt have a surveyor for either, sold as seen. Absolute wrecks of houses but better value than any of the tarted up versions.
    My advice is, Buy the roughest house you can find, in the best area, for the least amount of money, you will be redecorating, putting in new kitchens and bathrooms in time any way, because the house isnt yours until you improve it
    , no point paying extra for some one elses kitchen when you will skip it as soon as your wife decides she want another one. You will get a rough house at a better price and you wont have as many people bidding, if any, and you have the rest of your life to improve it with the money saved on purchase and interest.

2 cents.
    Last edited by Rennwagen; 22-10-2020 at 12:40 PM.

more importantly, how much room for cars does it have?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...need-1.3389467

This is an article from 2018 you might find helpful, explains the 3 different levels of survey that you can choose depending on house type, age etc.
    KK4 FC3S SE3P JCESE SA3R