Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manuals Rule!

Manuals Rule!

Good to see Henry agrees and Porsche have seen the error of their ways.

https://youtu.be/oaUCdAdaaj8

I miss a manual so much that I actually enjoy driving my girlfriend's Captur

Quote Originally Posted by foyler View Post
    error
    Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Get out there and drive it as much as possible...You or it will not be around forever, at least not with any original parts.

Auto's only suit dieseasels as they can stay in the power band and therefore use the torque more....
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

I like the comparison to coffee - instant isn’t always better! Henry’s videos are always top drawer.

Great video. Great choice of car to make the point too.

A manual GT3 is surely one of the greatest cars ever made, 9k rpm NA flat six, Fantastic chassis, brakes, looks. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazg2 View Post
    Auto's only suit dieseasels as they can stay in the power band and therefore use the torque more....
    Nah, you want a pre-selector like a unimog, bump up or down 5 gears then dip the clutch to drop straignt into your chosen gear straight away. ..sure what else would you be driving with a diesel but a truck or a tractor?

Manuals are good in cars that suit manuals, but think there's plenty of cars where I'd happily have an auto. To me, the bigger problem is not that these cars don't have manuals, but we're not making many cars these days that are absolutely crying out for a manual. So much stuff seems quite nice and quite fast, but if the rest of the car isn't exactly tactile, what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Nah, you want a pre-selector like a unimog, bump up or down 5 gears then dip the clutch to drop straignt into your chosen gear straight away. ..sure what else would you be driving with a diesel but a truck or a tractor?

Manuals are good in cars that suit manuals, but think there's plenty of cars where I'd happily have an auto. To me, the bigger problem is not that these cars don't have manuals, but we're not making many cars these days that are absolutely crying out for a manual. So much stuff seems quite nice and quite fast, but if the rest of the car isn't exactly tactile, what's the point?
    Do Unimogs not just have a splitter gearbox, I’ve never driven or seen one with a preselect ?

Quote Originally Posted by gofaster_s13 View Post
    Do Unimogs not just have a splitter gearbox, I’ve never driven or seen one with a preselect ?
    This would be in the fancier newer models like a U500

Quote Originally Posted by Bazg2 View Post
    I don't think that's accurate to be honest. It's all dependent on the application of both power plant and transmission, it's usage, the environment/locale it's used in etc

What of those GT's and continent crushing saloons with large capacity engines - V8/V10/V12's? Auto transmissions in them make perfect sense.
    Trundling around Dublin on a day to day grind in your appliance vehicle? Why bother with a manual when an auto is invariably more suited to the task. Don't get me wrong, there have been, and still are some cack auto transmissions, but equally there have been some Sh1t manual cars, with poor matching of engine and transmission, poor gear shift/linkage, poor clutch feel etc