Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mx5 mechanics in Ireland

Mx5 mechanics in Ireland

Morning lads, I want to preface this by saying I'm a far reach from even an amateur mechanic, I'll take the time to learn when I have the space and money for tools.

Over the last couple of weeks I got my daily into tip top shape so went back to pursuing an mx5. Managed to get a classic quote where it had been refused a dozen times before all sorted, cars in me front garden happy days (97 eunos 1.8 with 70k on the clock if anyone's interested to know).

So now I've begun looking into supercharging and while it seems fairly straightforward for the most part I'd be too afraid of making shite of this fairly nice example with me learning as I go along. So I'm seeking advice or even a decent idea of where in Ireland you'd find a mechanic trustworthy (or even willing) to take on installing a supercharger on the little mx5.

Cheers lads!

Give Robert Maguire a call. 0868226506

Also, go turbo now rather than later

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Where are you based? The lad above is held in High regard and there is another guy in Wexford called Patrick Gabbet if thats closer to you.
    THE LIMITS OF TYRANTS ARE PRESCRIBED BY THE ENDURANCE OF THOSE WHOM THEY OPPRESS.

Installing a supercharger is easy (relatively speaking), with a kit and stuff. Getting it running right is another matter, if you're not able to endlessly tinker yourself, you'll really need to go to more of a motorsport engineering type place that can do mapping and stuff to ensure fuelling/timing/spark are all good. Don't forget cooling will be more of an issue too.

I'd say - don't rush into this, drive the car as is for a while, get to really know it, have a proper poke around. You may find there's more fundamental improvements to be made to the car first before you add more poke.

Long11 first I've heard of someone mentioning turbo, I do enjoy the feel of a turbo but would you not think the SC being more similar to naturally aspirated keeps in line with the car.

I'm in Galway city but I had initially thought about going to the UK chasing reputation said I'd put out feelers here save me a very long drive/trailering the car.

Crank 100% agree with you the supercharger/turbo is maybe 3rd or 4th on my mazda priorities, looking into stability/getting the car rebalanced on a hunter first thing as its a relatively inexpensive improvement to make. Considering RPF1s or refurbishing the current alloys and then I'm going to look into replacing some of the seals on the car and tracking down a hardtop. Only after all that will I commit to the SC/Turbo.

I had planned to turbo my own mx5 yonks ago but the longer I have it the more I thankful I am that I didn't. They are a great car as is. Great for teaching you driving control. Learning to get to grips with one properly should be first on your list before turbo imo.

I have BC racing BR coilovers in my own and they're great. Would highly recommend them if going that route.

I'm not too far from you in Galway county. I drove mine for 4 years then turbo'd it in 2003. I've had other mx5s on occasion and am on the fence which I prefer.
    Whatever changes you do/don't make, stick to light wheels, it'll keep it nimble and very chuckable

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

I get what you mean Dave, was definitely and experience driving it home from Wexford to Galway having only driven my relatively new C class diesel for the last year or two. Its a fairly demanding car to drive!

We might have different views on the forced induction just for the fact that I bought it to be my gas little street legal race car instead of being one of those arseholes modding German 2 litre diesels with exhausts etc. So the goal was always to do some mods but after seeing the car face to face they'll be as subtle as possible, hence me leaning towards supercharging instead of turbo.

Yeah the wheels seem to be key Long11, the Rpf1s are supposedly the lightest you can get so I'm willing to break the bank for that 1k price tag. Going to stick with the 14s aswell maybe get them a bit wider than stock, I'll have to see how a wider track looks on the car though, don't want to end up having a rocketbunny wannabe car.

Just to clarify I will 100% give this car good time on the road before there's any drastic modifications done to it, it's brilliant craic the way it is. I've my fingers crossed for another lock down so the roads are nice and quiet again

I wouldn't certainly drive the car as is for some time. Learn what you like and dislike about the car before jumping into modding. That way you'll be able to improve the car with mods that suit you.

On wheels, I went from a set of random 16 inch Wolfrace wheels with gone off tyres to some Enkei hollow-spokes (lightest OEM Mazda wheels you can get) with decent tyres and it was like a new car. The difference the lighter wheels made was incredible.
    2016 Ford Fiesta ST
    1998 Peugeot 106 GTI

+1 on light wheels, stick with lightweight ones and don't be tempted by big wheels unless you need brake clearance.

Light wheels means the suspension has better, faster bump response, keeping the tyres in contact with the road and improving ride.