Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e30mclow - The Flagship of Financial Ruin

e30mclow - The Flagship of Financial Ruin

Dilemma - I can't have nice things.

Last year I bought the Pajero Evo as the "one car to do it all". It ticks all the boxes, including the ultra rare homologation box.
    Despite the internet, that thing is still a 90s Jap car and has given me ZERO issues. Aside from days where I use the e30, the Pajero has been my daily steed without ever asking anything of me.

The only problem is that they're very quickly going up in value and I'm unfortunately treating it as well as I would a Honda Civic. I've not once cleaned the inside and I've probably washed it less than 5 times in the last 12months. The real issue is the Canadian's insatiable appetite for road salt in the winter. In the 4 or so months I used it in the snow last year the underside has visually deteriorated to the point where any enthusiast/potential buyer would probably bawk and walk away.

With that in mind, another winter would likely push the thing over the limit of what I'm happy to restore myself. Therefore she shall be stricken of her daily driver status this winter while I lift the body off the frame and restore it.

Solution - Buy something practical

The requirements:

1. Budget of $6k CAD or so excluding winter tires
    2. Budget of $600-1,000 CAD or so for winter tires - these are an absolute must
    3. AWD/FWD and manual
    4. Economical/Easy to work on
    5. Mileage not too much of a concern
    6. Heated seats would be nice

So that equates to a total on the road budget of $6,800-$7,000 for something that will tide me over into late next year and shouldn't lose me any money.
    For some added context, I must stress that anything sub $5k here is generally over 200k km and is already rusted apart.

With my criteria set I launched into the usual online markets to see what I could get.
    Depressing...

Crap, pure crap. Can't do it.

As with the Pajero this time last year - MAN MATHS!!

I generally wouldn't post up about a car until it is in my driveway, but if the internet is to be believed, it may not make it home tonight.
    I found this luxo-barge posted for above my limit, but with these time bombs there is always room for negotiation.

4 out of 6 = 66%, which is a passing grade.

1. Budget of $6k CAD or so excluding winter tires
    2. Budget of $600-1,000 CAD or so for winter tires - these are an absolute must
    3. AWD/FWD and manual
    4. Economical/Easy to work on
    5. Mileage not too much of a concern
    6. Heated seats would be nice

Spec:
    20008 BMW 750i Sport Package
    Full Service History
    Not a single mark on it
    Practically new winter wheels and appropriately load rated tyres
    All oil seal/gaskets were done at BMW last year at a cost of almost $7,000! Nightmare.
    Valley coolant pipe done.
    No codes, no errors.
    All in, it'll be registered and on the road within the $7k budget.

How exciting! Having a grenade with the pin pulled in the driveway!

Last edited by e30mclow; 17-09-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    Current Bad Ideas:
    Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
    Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
    Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Yep, sounds like a plan.

Nice. Great man maths.

On the Pajero front, if not already seen this it might help on the chassis job. Driftworks are building an LS powered Pajero Evo but the important part is the body off and chassis repair work!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nf4K2HzeAMKf9k

You are an absolute madman and I can't help but envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chawkie View Post
    Nice. Great man maths.

On the Pajero front, if not already seen this it might help on the chassis job. Driftworks are building an LS powered Pajero Evo but the important part is the body off and chassis repair work!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...nf4K2HzeAMKf9k
    I've been watching that with interest. Craig is in the Pajero Evo groups online, so there are some extra snippets going up there ahead of the videos. It is painted now and is red!

Quote Originally Posted by kadett 244 View Post
    You are an absolute madman and I can't help but envy you.
    Say that again in 2 months when I end up having to do valve stem seals or something silly.

All I've had time to do is drive it home. This weekend will be a case of a thorough forensic assessment/clean.
    The car is in beautiful shape

In terms of comfort, it is on a whole other level. I've never been in anything that drives like it.
    Current Bad Ideas:
    Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Knocked the dust off of it on Saturday. My goodness it is clean

I was also treated to a wonderful ATF stain on the driveway, which is part of the standard BMW overnight parking procedure.
    These ZF boxes have the "lifetime" fluid and filter, which is BS as the gaskets leak over time.

The 20 bolts are only hand tight from factory so rather jump into $300 for a new plastic pan with integrated filter & gasket, I marked each and loosened them off 1/4 of a turn, before tightening them about 10-15 degrees tighter than where they were. Seems to have stopped it. It was also a chance to inspect the car completely from underneath, which I'm glad to report is bone dry.

I've inadvertently ended up with too nice a car for winter.
    Safety test this afternoon and then on the road full time come Thursday. Exciting
    Last edited by e30mclow; 21-09-2020 at 03:36 PM.
    Current Bad Ideas:

Quote Originally Posted by e30mclow View Post
    I think there's a precedent. Maybe you should have bought the Cruze and just treated it with the contempt it deserves!

Quote Originally Posted by JPW View Post
    I think there's a precedent. Maybe you should have bought the Cruze and just treated it with the contempt it deserves!
    There is a pattern emerging.
    When I inevitable end up in front of a psychiatrist for this addiction, they'll hold up a rorschach test and I'll ask "looks good, does it have heated seats?"
    Current Bad Ideas:

Quote Originally Posted by e30mclow View Post
    Knocked the dust off of it on Saturday. My goodness it is clean

I was also treated to a wonderful ATF stain on the driveway, which is part of the standard BMW overnight parking procedure.
    These ZF boxes have the "lifetime" fluid and filter, which is BS as the gaskets leak over time.

The 20 bolts are only hand tight from factory so rather jump into $300 for a new plastic pan with integrated filter & gasket, I marked each and loosened them off 1/4 of a turn, before tightening them about 10-15 degrees tighter than where they were. Seems to have stopped it. It was also a chance to inspect the car completely from underneath, which I'm glad to report is bone dry.

Safety test this afternoon and then on the road full time come Thursday. Exciting
    Any plans to give it more undersealing treatment to preserve the good condition?