Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re: VRT on an original Irish car and original reg

Question re: VRT on an original Irish car and original reg

If a car was sold new in Ireland and then got registered up north and got a VRT rebate. When one reVRTs it, does it automatically get its’ original reg back? Or can you request the original reg back?
    Current : ‘08 BMW E92 ///M3
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E39 530i
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster
    Previous: ‘07 BMW E92 335i
    Previous: ‘97 BMW E36 323i Coupé

Pretty sure Itl go on a new reg? Not 100% though. And the new vrt quotation may be higher than the refund given!

I know of someone that brought back a car that was exported before the rebate thing and it got it's original reg back. I'd say even for a rebate paid car there's a chance you will get the original reg back - I mean it should be dormant as there is no reg transfer system here.

It will go back on its original Reg if you make them aware of it.

My Evo went back on its original reg when I brought it back in.

Good to know, thanks Miller!

@ Gn3dr: good point about the dormant reg thing.

@ Alan, current VRT on a Z4M (just for context) is 11k and current rebate is 1200  so I’ve no doubt revenue will fcuk you every chance they get. Why is that ok by the way? Why does everyone shrug and accept it as just “the way it is”...
    Current : ‘08 BMW E92 ///M3
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E39 530i
    Previous: ‘03 BMW E85 Z4 3.0i Roadster
    Previous: ‘07 BMW E92 335i
    Previous: ‘97 BMW E36 323i Coupé

Cos they don’t want to invite the revenue to look at other things belonging to you, a lot of folk fear an audit...
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post
    Good to know, thanks Miller!

@ Gn3dr: good point about the dormant reg thing.

@ Alan, current VRT on a Z4M (just for context) is 11k and current rebate is 1200  so I’ve no doubt revenue will fcuk you every chance they get. Why is that ok by the way? Why does everyone shrug and accept it as just “the way it is”...
    You can appeal an rebate same as a payment. I appealed for an 08 lexus isf years ago. Went from 2400 to 8600!
    Last edited by alan b; 17-09-2020 at 07:47 AM.

Right... but why should we have to go through all that bureaucratic BS in order to get some level of fairness? That stuff should just work properly without having to battle faceless civil servants at every turn.
    I'm with the resistance

Years ago I exported the F430 and got a VRT refund. To cut a long story short they gave me a miserable valuation so I appealed and they gave me a bit more so I accepted it rather than be a nuisance/target for the Revenue. I got a letter saying I was due I don't know I think another €6,000. That was August. September I sent two emails and made a phone call. Nothing. October I sent six emails and a letter and made two phone calls. November 9 emails a letter and 3 phone calls. Nothing. I was busy in work so forgot about it till January. 4 emails a letter and 2 phone calls. Nothing.

In February I sent one email which was along the lines of I now don't want to hear from you, I am sending a copy of the 40 or whatever emails and 6 letters you have not responded to together with a list of the phone calls to the Chairman of the Revenue Commissioner to ask him to answer.

I got a phone call apologising for the delay and the cheque the next day.

Bunch of assholes. I have other similar Revenue stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter-E36 View Post

@ Alan, current VRT on a Z4M (just for context) is 11k and current rebate is 1200  .

is it?