Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Thread

Space Thread

There's been a few different space themed thread so I'll start one. This is for all things in the night sky.

Has anyone spotted Neowise yet? I went out last night to try get a glimpse but couldn't find it.

Also while I was out I spotted a bright "satellite" passing above the plough I thought it was the ISS at first but it faded across the sky and disappeared.

Doesn't the ISS fade away after 2/3 minutes anyway?

Anytime I've seen it, it disappears into the east after a few minutes.
    From memory, isn't it travelling around 17/18k mph.

Also did that manned recently launched spacex rocket ever return to earth? What the hell are they doing up there still?

Yep it was the ISS, spotted it night By chance, only for a few seconds before it faded behind a cloud. I’d say the comet is very difficult to spot in Dublin as it’s low on the horizon and with the light pollution

Some great pics of the comet recently...
    https://www.facebook.com/MatthiasRos...type=3&theater
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

I managed to get a few pics of Neowise from my garden Sunday night. Every other night I've been hampered by cloud.

China missions heads off for Mars today
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-53504797

Interestingly:
    "It should arrive in orbit around the Red Planet in February. The rover won't actually try to land on the surface for a further two to three months."

And also - 3 missions around same time, crazy.

"Tianwen-1 is one of three missions setting off to Mars in the space of 11 days.
    On Monday, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) launched its Hope satellite towards the Red Planet. And in a week from now, the US space agency (Nasa) aims to despatch its next-generation rover, Perseverance."

I was going to bed the other night an noticed it was clear out so I decided to wait a while to see neowise and the ISS. Right on cue the clouds came over. I managed to get one poor accidental shot of neowise, without seeing it myself.
    Last edited by Boris; 27-07-2020 at 11:02 AM.