Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Saloon

E36 M3 Saloon

So here goes, my CV 19 induced spare time build thread. This won’t be a restoration (famous last words) more of a re-commissioning. Will not be going for OEM spec on every bushing, bolt, etc. so if that’s your thing look away now, I’ve done all that before, nearly 10 years ago!! on an ae86 and to be honest I was nearly afraid to drive the car after, it really took the enjoyment out of it more than I thought it would worrying about paint chips, parking dents, etc etc. A car that can be driven and enjoyed without too much worry is the goal.

At this point I should add a disclaimer; I am not a mechanic; I don’t claim to be and do not work in the industry. This is a hobby and this thread is by no means a guide to completing any of this work just a journal of my efforts and hopefully someone else might enjoy it as much as I enjoy other people’s project threads.

This is what I’m working with, 1995 M3 Saloon:

IMG-20200314-WA0008 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

The basic plan for the car is:
    • Deal with the rust issues
    • Suspension and brake overhaul
    • Running gear overhaul – big end bearings/bolts, seals, fluids, etc.
    • Get it to a running & driving state and nct’d
    • Decide what level of bodywork to do – full respray?? Nothing??

The car has been off the road an estimated 10 years.

The story goes we (myself and some friends) bought it 2 years ago from a man in Shannon who is fairly well known for breaking m3s over the years. It had sat in Dublin, see pic of discs below, since 2009ish. So it goes that the owner is in Australia and had imported it from the UK, ran into some VRT debacle, and the father who was selling it for him would not let the service book with history go with it because the VRT info was in it, so unfortunately that may be lost forever.

It hasn’t turned a wheel since we got it but did run and drive (poorly), I poked around it a bit and then it was left to one side until recently.

The Good:
    • 3.0 saloon which is kind of rare, I must look up the numbers
    • Its Daytona Violet, a favourite colour of mine
    • Original expect for radio and a crappy rear spoiler
    • Overall its solid, original and saveable
    • It’s on Irish plates, with the current VRT lottery this is a major bonus

The Bad:
    • Everything serviceable is f###ked or is reasonable to presume so, bushings, bearings, ball joints, brakes, etc.
    • Its rusty – battery box, drivers cill and rear panel being the main issues
    • Central locking is on the fritz and causing me a headache, suspect aftermarket alarm is the issue

No doubt some other unforeseen problems will arise

I’ll let the pics do the talking for now, with the current situation it will be a bit of a slow burner with the aim of summer cruising in 2021 

Rusty!!!
    20200320_185527 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_185518 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

More Rust…

20200320_185603 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

…additional rust

20200320_185611 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_185544 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

The only service history I currently have hahaha

20200317_160911 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

the mudflaps were presumably installed by a shuttering carpenter,definitely were not going to fall off

20200320_170049 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_182802 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

Some random pics of the current situation

20200317_154343 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_163416 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_182250 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_190122 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

Broken rear spring

20200320_172010 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

Rear brakes well worn, rusty, one seized solid

20200320_165930 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200320_182811 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

The offending aftermarket alarm/fob, i must investigate this further and probably remove

20200317_160923 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200317_160933 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

So pretty much what you might expect from a 25 year old BMW thats been sitting

have been gathering some parts the last couple of weeks, So far i've got a service kit, rebuilt front and rear brakes with fresh discs, brake hoses and assorted rear bushes. The tip of the iceberg really but most of what i need is readily available.

If anyone has or knows of an M3 mid section exhaust for sale please let me know, proving very difficult to find

Best of luck with it and great to see an m3 that was spared from his grasp!

Pm DaveG on here. He might have some bits you’ll need. Best of luck with it.

Martin D certainly has lots of bits for them.
    Good luck with it, great colour and rare now in 3.0. Id love one......again .

They are a lovely car... 4dr's are real rare even when lots were about. Look forward to the progress.

Very desirable car there, and one that'll not go down in value.

I encourage you to post every little detail, as I find that the routine of updating my thread on here is sometimes enough to keep me plugging away at the car.
    Current Bad Ideas:
    Daily - 1998 Pajero Evolution
    Project - 1990 BMW e30 1JZ
    Previous "Better" Ideas: 2 x Stage III Audi B5 S4, e30 m3, e34 m5, Inca Orange 2002Tii, '89 325iS, '89 318i, '90 318iS, '91 318iS, 2 X '87 316, '89 320i, '81 e21 316

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Best of luck with it and great to see an m3 that was spared from his grasp!

Pm DaveG on here. He might have some bits you’ll need. Best of luck with it.
    Thanks john, will need all the luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
    Martin D certainly has lots of bits for them.
    Good luck with it, great colour and rare now in 3.0. Id love one......again .
    Thanks, will drop him a mail and see

Quote Originally Posted by fast focus View Post
    They are a lovely car... 4dr's are real rare even when lots were about. Look forward to the progress.
    Thanks you sir

Quote Originally Posted by e30mclow View Post
    Very desirable car there, and one that'll not go down in value.

I encourage you to post every little detail, as I find that the routine of updating my thread on here is sometimes enough to keep me plugging away at the car.
    Thanks dude, your threads have definitely provided me with plenty of entertainment over the last while so will try to return the favour. It's not something i'm used to so bear with me on that, i'll certainly do my best

As regards value, its not going down any time soon. At the price we got it there is plenty of room to get it up to good order without going into the negative

Brilliant, I'd love an E36 M3. Watching with interest.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Gonna keep an eye on this thread! Keep the posts coming!

Thanks guys, will try to keep the momentum going now that i've started

Got another few hours in the shed yesterday

First things first, service the daily seeing as apparently i'm an essential worker and have to go to work

20200329_123140 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

20200329_123334 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

Air filter certainly needed changing (for context i only have the car since last summer)

20200329_125353 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

Anyway with all the striping of parts to be done on the M3 I needed somewhere to put them, cue about e60 worth of timber & screws some waste bits from around the house and about 6 hours gives you this masterpiece...

20200329_122456 by Padraig Duffy, on Flickr

Got a few more bits done too, ill write up another post for that