Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FK8 Honda Civic Type R

Sweet car and fair play for the detailed write up. Strangely enough I didn’t like these when I first saw them but I’ve gone full circle and love them so much now it’s on my shortlist for the next purchase.

Lovely car
    Styling is abit out there alright, but supposed to be a super car

I also remember seeing it at a trackday, was thinking fair play to the owner for bringing their new type-r out on track, well done

Quote Originally Posted by hooch View Post
    Great thread, these are growing on me, styling is a bit out there but as an engineering feat they are something else, amazing on track too from the videos I've seen.

Personally I think they are a bit over-wheeled on 20's though, 19's would have been just right imo.

Hopefully your run of bad luck has come to an end now. Insurance seems saucy but Honda's always did attract a high premium.

Oh, one last thing 80km to a tank, some man!
    Most popular mod seems to be swapping to 18" wheels but I just really like the OEM wheels too much and it does look good on the 20s

Yeah insurance is a bit rough but in comparison the auto in the picture was 2400 to insure two years ago so same price for a 2L 320hp car isn't bad..
    In comparison only😂

It was all on the track Guard! Think it was around 8/9 mpg it was an expensive morning!

Quote Originally Posted by TuneR View Post
    Nice Civic mate, did you experience the overheating with it on track? Seems they have it sorted on the 2020 ones with larger grill and rad. Also whats the average mpg like (without track days)? Surely better than the 30-34mpg i get/got on the old VTECs....
    No overheating seems to be ok for European climate most overheating seems to be coming from the US owners forums / groups and other hotter / drier climates.

Only issue I've had on track was it threw a CEL but think the Mass air flow sensor came loose. Actually ended up being an annoying fix dealership said someone had been in at it but think the harnesses have a tendency to be loose and it happened again on a shift just the jolt knocked it loose I think.

The other issue is on low fuel on high consumption / high cornering the car throws a CEL and disables rev match etc but filling up resolves it.

2020 reportedly fixing those overheating and reduced brake fade alright. Not a fan of the extra bit of plastic on the bumpers though I'm a fan of the mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Pulsedub View Post
    Sweet car and fair play for the detailed write up. Strangely enough I didn’t like these when I first saw them but I’ve gone full circle and love them so much now it’s on my shortlist for the next purchase.
    A lot of people don't like them from the picture and the looks but it looks far better and imposing on person and once they drove them they seem to fall in love. The styling is still out there wouldn't be my cup of tea to make a car look like that but it's stock and the functionality of it and results are pretty damn cool.

Would highly recommend. 2017 car and still 3 years later nothing in the hatch FWD market comes close and it gives the golf and focus a run for their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-E View Post
    Lovely car
    Styling is abit out there alright, but supposed to be a super car

I also remember seeing it at a trackday, was thinking fair play to the owner for bringing their new type-r out on track, well done
    Probably a bit naive and risky to take it out but couldn't not bring it to the track!

My next plan of action is buy a set of cheap 18s and use them as track wheels. Stock brakes and everything else are perfect just a cost thing.

Average mpg I'd say is probably 30-35 all depends how you drive. If you're constantly keeping it is boost it's a thirsty engine. But I'm and around 30mpg while having a bit of fun.

On board computer says up to 40mpg while cruising at 100kmph

Then again by drivio app calculations haven't actually got better than 31mpg from a tank.

Went through a long period of not worrying about mpg and was getting 360-380km a tank.
    Last edited by Timm; 20-02-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Great post and fair play for bringing one into the country! I've only ever seen black example in Mondello and was really impressed by it in person.

I know older type Rs are a killer for insurance but Im surprised its that high on such a new car.

Is yours a touch lower than standard?

Great post and even better car! Really enjoyed seeing this in person at Terenur.

Always wanted to daily something like a Focus RS or Civic Type R but the weekend cars and work van will be all I can afford in the near future anyway But an older hot hatch is something I'd consider just to be able to sit in and go for a drive, something I'm not massively worried about having out of a garage all the time, maybe a clio 172/182 or an older Civic Type R or even an Audi S3

I've only seen 2 other Irish examples around I think there has to be less than 10 in total, very few.

Insurance would have been significantly cheaper last year like 12/1400 but couple issues with insurance. For context was 23 licence for less than 3 years and 2 years NCB as had to cancel policy half way through on old car.

It's actually higher than standard due to wider and thicker tyres. Fills the arches more probably makes it.look lowered. Little bit of extra clearance is handy but like I said I miss the 245/30s!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC1 View Post
    Great post and even better car! Really enjoyed seeing this in person at Terenur.

Always wanted to daily something like a Focus RS or Civic Type R but the weekend cars and work van will be all I can afford in the near future anyway But an older hot hatch is something I'd consider just to be able to sit in and go for a drive, something I'm not massively worried about having out of a garage all the time, maybe a clio 172/182 or an older Civic Type R or even an Audi S3
    Loved your GTR Brian! Best car I've got to sit in!

Prior to this being announced the realistic dream car was the mk3 focus RS! Still want to drive one.

Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    Loved your GTR Brian! Best car I've got to sit in!

Prior to this being announced the realistic dream car was the mk3 focus RS! Still want to drive one.
    Cheers Tim, the GTR cabin is definitely a nice place to be!

I've gone for the older Jap classics now but would like something more modern as a semi-daily, maybe towards end of the year I'll look a bit closely at what's around

I'd love a focus RS, but they seem to hold their value very well!

Probably a bit naive and risky to take it out but couldn't not bring it to the track!
    Risky maybe, naive... absolutely NOT!!! Sure that’s what the car is built for!!! Obviously there is an extra risk involved when you have to rely on it as a form as transport, as well as any financial risk involved, but the reward is worth it!!!

I have an exige and can’t get enough of trackdays, it’s been said to me that it’s too “good” for trackdays, but like your type-r, it’s actually too good NOT to do trackdays, but it’s not my daily so more respect to you!

On saying that, Iv just got a new daily driver myself with an AMG badge, and Iv no doubt it will grace the tarmac in Mondello in the near future