Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX7 Spirit R

Mazda RX7 Spirit R

Posted this in the members car thread a few days back, but said I'll give it a thread of its own but I don't expect to have many updates on it!

2002 Mazda RX7 Spirit R, bought it from Torque GT in the UK who were reselling it for the owner who imported it through them back in 2015 I believe.

Delighted with it so far, replaced my R35 so had big boots to fill but early impressions are I prefer it and looks like it'll be a keeper.

No major plans with it so far, new OEM AST and OEM rubber cooling pipes ordered from Amayama. I also have Stu from RotorTorque in the UK booked to fly over to map it for Irish fuel and full health check and check over the end of March, until then it won't be driven much but will be on NF octane booster until then. Will be getting rid of the HIDs that came from Japan with it and replacing with either LEDs or stock halogens.

I'll be keeping it 99% stock barring some reliability mods possibly.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Major envy here!

What ECU you going running? Power FC seems to be one of the few options when retaining the twin turbos.

Is Stu coming just for your car or have you a few RX7s lined up for mapping?

Surprised to hear you prefer the FD over the R35? Is it more usable due to a more modest power level? More analogue?

I think one of the major benefits of the FD is it's a pretty modest car size wise by comparison to modern stuff and more suited for Irish B roads

That's class Brian.. the very best of luck with it. I'd love to get s closer look!

Lovely car Brian, I remember seeing the car advertised by Torque
    2008 Focus ST 225. Sabre 400R.

That's a beauty, one of my favorite Jap cars.

One of the best looking motors to ever come out of Japan!

Quote Originally Posted by Chawkie View Post
    Major envy here!

What ECU you going running? Power FC seems to be one of the few options when retaining the twin turbos.

Is Stu coming just for your car or have you a few RX7s lined up for mapping?

Surprised to hear you prefer the FD over the R35? Is it more usable due to a more modest power level? More analogue?

I think one of the major benefits of the FD is it's a pretty modest car size wise by comparison to modern stuff and more suited for Irish B roads
    Unsure on ECU right now, I'm fairly positive it has an aftermarket ECU as it has been mapped by Pip Gardner in 2016 or so, just need to pop off the cover and check in the morning and make a decision from there but I suspect it is running an Apexi.

Stu just coming over to check mine out and map it, not sure how many he could fit in in a day, I'll be getting the lift for a couple of hours from the garage beside where I work. They plan to make a weekend out of it and go visit some other customers with drift cars etc. If your interested in getting yours mapped the same day let me know, I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue.

I just the prefer the more mechanical driving experience of the manual 1.2 tonne coupe, they are very raw. I missed the last one I had since I sold it really. But you do need to be in the mood to drive it, I'm only 5'9 and under 80kg and getting in and out of the carbon reacaros is still a struggle! The Supra is a much more driver friendly car and easy to jump in and go for a drive. But yeah the RX7 is ideally suited to Irish B roads for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny 89 View Post
    That's class Brian.. the very best of luck with it. I'd love to get s closer look!
    No problem! I'm sure we can organise something at some point, try tie in a weekend we're both back home in Waterford, or even up towards Dublin/Meath. Do you have the Speedster with you as a daily in Dublin? (It is Dublin you work yeah? )

Quote Originally Posted by mike1187 View Post
    Lovely car Brian, I remember seeing the car advertised by Torque
    That was actually a different one, mine wasnt advertised at all, I made an enquiry and this was going to be available in 3 or 4 weeks so I just left the deposit then incase it sold after advertising!

Quote Originally Posted by Neilo View Post
    That's a beauty, one of my favorite Jap cars.
    Cheers, definitely my favourite styling from Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin View Post
    One of the best looking motors to ever come out of Japan!
    Totally agree, they produced alot of great engines but as far as styling goes I personally think the RX7 is right up there

That is gorgeous! Well may you driver her. Back in the day Clarkson or Tiff Needel (?) said the the RX7 was the Jag E-Type of the 1990s. Beautiful car.
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Quote Originally Posted by BrianC1 View Post
    Unsure on ECU right now, I'm fairly positive it has an aftermarket ECU as it has been mapped by Pip Gardner in 2016 or so, just need to pop off the cover and check in the morning and make a decision from there but I suspect it is running an Apexi.

Stu just coming over to check mine out and map it, not sure how many he could fit in in a day, I'll be getting the lift for a couple of hours from the garage beside where I work. They plan to make a weekend out of it and go visit some other customers with drift cars etc. If your interested in getting yours mapped the same day let me know, I'm sure there wouldn't be an issue.

I just the prefer the more mechanical driving experience of the manual 1.2 tonne coupe, they are very raw. I missed the last one I had since I sold it really. But you do need to be in the mood to drive it, I'm only 5'9 and under 80kg and getting in and out of the carbon reacaros is still a struggle! The Supra is a much more driver friendly car and easy to jump in and go for a drive. But yeah the RX7 is ideally suited to Irish B roads for sure.
    I'd love to but my engine is still on an engine stand. When are you thinking of bringing him over?