Thread: Rétromobile 2020

Rétromobile 2020

Having flown over from Dublin to Paris for the day in 2018 to attend this, I fancied a return visit this year.

Given I'm working in Scotland at the moment, I fired up the CL500 at 03:30 and pointed it at the road for Edinburgh airport, to catch the 06:05 Air France to CDG.

After negotiating the RER & metro system, I arrived at the Paris Expo around 10:00, just after the show's opening time. Spent around 5.5 hours traipsing around - The Bertone exhibition was probably my highlight, but the Girardo & Co (F288 GTO / F40 / F50 / Enzo / MC12 in a row) plus the Richard Mille stand (x4 McLaren F1's & a Senna GTR) were very impressive.

Will let the pics do the talking:

Miura SVJ

ETC Jaaaag

Moby -Type 911

Common as muck (at least 10 in the hall )

Plenty of Citroen's

LM24 Bugatti

And some more WEC / LM24 veterans

Aforementioned gaggle of F Cars & Maser

Michelloti 308 Rally Car, ex Toivonen

Senna GTR

Renault oddness

Fiat oddness

Bertone Concepts

For sale section

(€9k)

(€24.5k...)

Rally cars

Day done, took a walk up to the Eiffel Tower / Seine, before heading back to the airport just after 17:30 - A few free ales in the lounge (courtesy of Aer Club ) then hopped on the 21:55 flight home to Dublin, arriving in around 23:00 last night.

It was a loooong day (28k steps covered, according to my watch), but you seldom get the opportunity to see such exotic / odd-ball stuff under one roof

That's one for the diary at some point. Never heard of it so thanks for the pics.

Older but not any wiser!

Great selection of vehicles there. Pick of the bunch for me would be the VW Golf Rallye.

Great looking show,I'll definitely have to pay a visit at some stage.

It must be great to see so many McLaren F1's together 😁

What's the story with the silver Miura SVJ?
    Is it modern running gear under a Miura body?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Great looking show,I'll definitely have to pay a visit at some stage.

It must be great to see so many McLaren F1's together 

What's the story with the silver Miura SVJ?
    Is it modern running gear under a Miura body?
    It's the real deal - Lambo made a 'hot' Miura prototype called the Jota (written off during testing) which spawned four road cars (the SV'J' for 'Jota').

This one was ordered new '73 by Hubert Hahne (ex German Nurburgring racer) and recently restored by Lambo themselves - The public unveiling was at the show

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ret...hini-miura-svj

The F1's are always a bit special - the Ueno Clinic LM24 winner was there during my last visit in 2018 (think McLaren Woking own the car?), but there was also a long-tail, a HDF package race car and a standard road car on the stand - At ~€15 million each (roughly; the LM24 winner will be worth more), there was €60-70 million of cars parked in a row

Ah right so it is one of the original Jota's.
    Cool looking thing.

The F1 is the ultimate car without a doubt.
    it must be something else to hear that V12 in real life and I think it has aged so well.

Is the show quite big,would it be on the same scale as the Classic Show in the NEC?
    Would you be able to get around it in a day or is just too big and you might need a day or two
    to get around it?
    Retromobile probably runs for a few days I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Ah right so it is one of the original Jota's.
    Cool looking thing.

The F1 is the ultimate car without a doubt.
    it must be something else to hear that V12 in real life and I think it has aged so well.

Is the show quite big,would it be on the same scale as the Classic Show in the NEC?
    Would you be able to get around it in a day or is just too big and you might need a day or two
    to get around it?
    Retromobile probably runs for a few days I'd imagine.
    Yeah, it runs on a Wednesday -> Sunday for a week early February each year (been going for ~45 years)

In terms of scale, there's 1200 or so vehicles present - It's probably around a third of the size of the NEC show and doable in a day, I'd suggest (certainly saw 95% of everything during both my day trips). Lots of exotic stuff that seldom leaves mainland Europe (Abarth collection etc), so very different exhibits from the Birmingham show

Good to know.

I've never been to the NEC Show but I know people who have.
    Its both good and bad,pretty good variety of cars but it's very hard to see a lot of it especially if you only go for the day.

A show like Retromobile might just be a nice compromise between size and variety.