Page 1 of 361 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Pandemic

Covid-19 Pandemic

It feels like watching that Chernobyl drama on Sky.

Nothing to see here, everything’s under control, never mind the poor bastards who are at the epicentre, oh sh1t we can’t hide it anymore, total panic.
    I'm with the resistance

One thing for sure is the Chinese government are lying about it to save face

Major pandemic is going to happen sooner or later and I don't think the Chinese have dealt with it any worse than anyone else would have. Probably better than some western nations. Whether this one is THE one that causes a major pandemic, we have to wait and see.

You only have to look back to the Spanish flu in 1918 which killed more people than WW1 and WW2 combined. Killed 5% of the world's population and people didn't fly around the world daily back then.
    Last edited by crank_case; 25-01-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: overstated percentages

Yes - it’s going to be a bad day for the Morkets when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    You only have to look back to the Spanish flu in 1918 which killed more people than WW1 and WW2 combined. Killed a third of the world's population and people didn't fly around the world daily back then.
    More recent analysis of the Spanish Flu pandemic suggests that the death toll was greatly exacerbated by a combination of poor hygiene, overcrowded medical facilities and malnourishment. The actual flu strain itself was not particularly more 'aggressive' than previous influenza outbreaks.

One would hope that not all of those factors would come into play again!

My mate messaged me about it the other day saying the 324 bed childrens hospital may end up costing 2.4Billion. China are building a 1000 bed hospital in Wuhan in 10 days in responce to the outbreak.
    Aparently the one built in 2003 to deal with SARS is still going strong.

Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie

Its a portakabin hospital they are building specifically designed for this kinda of outbreak.

The problem with outbreaks like this on countries like China is the initial response to deny it is happening. The quicker the reaction the better it can be contained.

They’re basically putting up tents in car parks as their hospitals are overwhelmed because they did SFA until now. So I’d say not much cause for celebration. They’re also running out of medicines and food and provide essentially zero information to the 56m people or so that are currently under lockdown. Let’s hope they get it under control. I guess totalitarian regimes have some advantages when it comes to keeping people isolated etc.

The Spanish Flu mortality rate was something like 5% among the infected. It’s just that 500m people got infected so the total number of fatalities was very high. The plague had a 30% mortality rate among a much smaller population. Something of that order.

Anyhow, we’ll see how it goes.
    I'm with the resistance

Well, there is something not quite right about what China is telling the world.
    They state there are 1400 cases. Well, you do not build a hospital in panic for 1400 people, you isolate a ward at a hospital.
    If you have a major outbreak on your hands, you set up a field hospital in a field (har!) where you can control access and spread. And with a giant and military like China, they have multiples of the military NBC hospitals ready to be popped up within 24 hours. So why build a hospital in 6 days in the middle of a city?? Does not compute.
    The fact that several cities are being completely cut off from the world is a bit worrying.

On various twitter feeds some talk of 100.000 cases, but with fake news on either side, who know what the truth is.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by The Bash Street Kid View Post
    My mate messaged me about it the other day saying the 324 bed childrens hospital may end up costing 2.4Billion. China are building a 1000 bed hospital in Wuhan in 10 days in responce to the outbreak.
    Aparently the one built in 2003 to deal with SARS is still going strong.
    Try going to a provincial Chinese hospital for treatment, see how you get on
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me