Page 3 of 165 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Pandemic

Good programme on Netflex called Pandemic - made before the current crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappo View Post
    Good programme on Netflex called Pandemic - made before the current crisis.
    The death rate isn't high enough, baring a significant adverse mutation it should wind down over the next 2 months.

It's all hysteria, with mass media frantically jumping on it to grab as much of the new "clicks" entering the market as they can due to the panic / piqued interest.

People should be looking at the following article, the consequences of the this article could be far graver than the nasty flu strain from China. The fact that this has been going on since September with little comment from the usual media outlets is baffling. Increasingly large deposits have been made since the start of January without eliciting the desired affect. I'm not an economist so can't really grasp the full gravity of the situation but it's definitely not looking good.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fed-add...ts-11580744458

While it’s a bit annoying for us that the Chinese were initially brushing it under the carpet, it’s obviously a lot more serious in China and this could have a longer term impact on their dictatorship and trust in the system. This sort of situation can cause an authoritarian regime to keel over. Of course they’re censuring social media to try to dampen this but still, people talk. A Chinese revolution would be quite something.
    I'm with the resistance

Indeed. But probably very unlikely. There are rumours about Xi himself, buy they're just rumours so far. I tend to ignore stuff until I can see official statements.

The economic implications will be deep for China. It will be interesting to see how quickly they can shrug things off and get back on track once the crisis in-country has been dealt with.
    Few examples of the economic effects further afield;
    • ZTE have cancelled their press conference at MWC in Spain this year. Will it progress further and lead to a literal 'no-show' for them?
    • ASUS mobile phones have run into shortages, and many are not available for supply.
    • LG have cancelled their participation in MWC in Spain.
    • Hyundai have stopped production at their factories in South Korea because of problems in the supply-chain. Many of their components come from factories in China, which are of course still closed.
    • Drugs & medicines -- the longer Chinese factories remain closed the bigger the impact on international pharmaceutical companies. Many of the compounds and 'base' ingredients they use in manufacturing drugs and prescription meds come from Chinese plants.

I’m hearing MWC might be or is even likely to be cancelled in its entirety, by the way.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Amjon View Post
    It's all hysteria
    I really don't think so. It's percentage death rate to infected is lower than SARS, but it has already killed more people than SARS. There doesn't seem to be hysteria out there, just it being viewed with appropriate seriousness. We don't have a vaccine and the virus appears and my become endemic if not contained (i.e. it won't go away like regular strains of Influenza or chicken pox). Financial crisis are worrying, but to be fair, your priorities are backwards if you think that's the bigger problem. World + dog knows there will be another financial crisis.

The main worry of financial impacts is as Deltona points out, lowered supply chain makes us all more vulnerable in terms of medical and other needed supplies.

That said, seeing games like Plague Inc. and A Plague Tale being highlighted on my Xbox did seem in poor taste.

Small effects visible here too. Put in an order to our usual supplier for dust masks a couple of weeks ago, not surgical just FFP2 for cement and brick dust. Got an email last week quoting delivery date of june, check our other suppliers
    on line catalogs and all quoting similar lead times. Called into Woodies to get some to tide us over for a few days and not one mask on the display panels ! A look at eBay shows Coronavirus added to every dust mask title listing ! Ended up getting
    some from a supplier I haven't used for years and a whole lot cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveboy View Post
    Small effects visible here too. Put in an order to our usual supplier for dust masks a couple of weeks ago, not surgical just FFP2 for cement and brick dust. Got an email last week quoting delivery date of june, check our other suppliers
    on line catalogs and all quoting similar lead times. Called into Woodies to get some to tide us over for a few days and not one mask on the display panels ! A look at eBay shows Coronavirus added to every dust mask title listing ! Ended up getting
    some from a supplier I haven't used for years and a whole lot cheaper too.
    Very interesting you say this, we're running low here so I may go about sourcing these for work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amjon View Post
    People should be looking at the following article, the consequences of the this article could be far graver than the nasty flu strain from China. The fact that this has been going on since September with little comment from the usual media outlets is baffling. Increasingly large deposits have been made since the start of January without eliciting the desired affect. I'm not an economist so can't really grasp the full gravity of the situation but it's definitely not looking good.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fed-add...ts-11580744458
    It is indeed very serious. I've been following it since before September. In a nutshell its saying none of the very large banks and financial houses, Hedge Funds etc. in Wall St. trust each other anymore so the Fed is providing the liquidity instead. And the reason they don't trust each other is because they believe they cant trust each others credit worthiness. In other words they believe there is potentially one or more bankruptcy's pending.
    If this blows 2008 will pale in comparison.

Eddie Ate Dynamite Good Bye Eddie

Same here in the states, all stores are sold out of masks, antibiotics and antibacterial sprays, wipes and hand soaps are getting difficult to find in any quantity.

I'm working in higher education with a lot of Chinese students and I also examine for language tests on the weekend so a lot of contingencies coming down the pipe if a pandemic is declared by WHO.

My old colleagues in Korea are reporting that the Chinese people they've interacted with are indicating that China is hugely under reporting the scale of the problem still.

Makes remote working look like a great option !

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/03/...t-for-science/

This was an interesting development this week, where it was suggested this was an engineered virus similar to HIV 1, backpedaling ensued almost immediately!
    Last edited by admredux; 05-02-2020 at 10:46 PM.
    2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, I need a project