Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ionity's new EV charge pricing... is making a V8 make sense

I had a look at this again ...

The 0.79c/kWh pricing only applies, if you're paying Ionity directly.

Each of the manufacturers have different pricing on Ionity chargers through their own deals:
    Audi: 0,33 EUR/kWh
    Porsche: 0,33 EUR/kWh
    Daimler: 0,29 EUR/kWh
    BMW: 0,30 EUR/minute
    VW: 8,40 EUR/session

BMW and VW due to be changing.

Reference for that: https://twitter.com/emobly/status/1218080350720741376

The only ones being penalised are Hyundai, Tesla and Jaguar drivers.

Also .. if you sign up for lets say the card from the energy supplier Maingau in Germany, then you get the charge on Ionity superchargers at 40c/kWh (ref: https://www.maingau-energie.de/e-mob...utostrom-Tarif ... 35c + 5c for being outside of Germany)

/M
    Last edited by Marlow; 17-01-2020 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    The EV fuel needs to be cheap, otherwise the value prop comes crashing down. If fast charging is prohibitively expensive then EVs will remain as a second car proposition and there’s no real reason to buy an expensive one with lots of battery. Funnily enough Ionity’s prime purpose is to support vehicles with large batteries so something doesn’t add up.

Anyhow, this is working wonders for the V8 man maths.
    Well I have been kinda banging a drum that cheap short range EVs (owned or shared) and an ICE for when you need it is the best combo in terms of user benefit / cost / infrastructure needed / immediate environment effect / realistic roll out time.

EV only future is a hiding to nothing in my view.

In other words, they will remain as toy cars for tipping around locally. Which is exactly how I use mine and also represents 90%+ of my driving generally.
    Not sure if toy cars is the word, but yes, I think the EV manufacturers should focus on delivering 100km range cars that will maintain that range for 10+ years and up to say 400k km and a little less on bigscreenfastpowertorqueshiftingm3beaters. Fact is, they are offering the speedfastwizzbang because that's relatively easy engineering wise compared to what people and the environment actually need from a daily driver in what is going to have to be a less consuming world.

This ties back to my sh1tter Leaf commuter "plan". They are finally cheap enough to be considered for such a role, but the real world range has dropped to 40km in winter on some and those that haven't will soon. So a relatively fresh car with low mileage on it and 70kg or so of copper plus a whole load of other raw materials strapped to the floorpan is now scrap.

Anyway, sorry for pulling it off topic a bit. I think charging high for use of fast chargers in the wild is a good business model actually. These need to be emergency or rare use only, to ensure they are available for those that need them when they are needed.
    Last edited by dimitri; 17-01-2020 at 12:52 PM.

As someone mentioned above - Ionity primary purpose is to allow long distance motorway travel. You drive 200km & stop for 20mins to get enough juice to get another 200km. Similar to Tesla superchargers
    Ireland as a small country is not their typical use case.
    If they have preferential pricing for Audi, Porsche or EQC owners - then it’s just about protecting shareholders interest. They don’t want new Taycan owner to queue in a line of Hyundais for next station to free up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure I can expect a communication from BMW about this any day now. Lol, only joking based on my experience of them so far.
    I'm with the resistance

In other words, they will remain as toy cars for tipping around locally. Which is exactly how I use mine and also represents 90%+ of my driving generally.
    This isn't a bad thing, but it's more selling the idea of a "tipping around car" that doesn't do everything, but it needs to be really, really cheap.

They'll never be really really cheap when they'll never need servicing.... so what has a manufacturer got to keep ripping us off with, another new car or tyres at some stage, brake pads at some stage....
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Quote Originally Posted by Bazg2 View Post
    They'll never be really really cheap when they'll never need servicing.... so what has a manufacturer got to keep ripping us off with, another new car or tyres at some stage, brake pads at some stage....
    Depends what it's being used for or it's even a proper "car". If it needs to go down the M50, then yeah, needs to meet the requirements of car, if it sticks to the suburban roads, and for a lot of people that's the reality (e.g. more people live in the Blanchardstown area of Dublin alone than Limerick), then it can be a light or heavy quadricycle and sidestep a lot of the regulation and even be domestically built. Golf cart with weather protection for the 'burbs and city, owned or rented/shared. Just for tipping over to the shops, going into the city, bringing kids to school. Think about how many "cold engine" (and therefore highest emission and wear) trips could be saved. Unfortunately as shown by leccy scooters, this country lacks imagination in making these things work or getting out of the way to let people make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by dimitri View Post
    This ties back to my sh1tter Leaf commuter "plan". They are finally cheap enough to be considered for such a role, but the real world range has dropped to 40km in winter on some and those that haven't will soon. So a relatively fresh car with low mileage on it and 70kg or so of copper plus a whole load of other raw materials strapped to the floorpan is now scrap.
    Crank keeps talking about reconditioned batteries, but I can't find anybody actually offering such things in Ireland.

Mrs SJ would love a Leaf or Zoe as long as it can be guaranteed to do 120KM on a full charge, whatever the weather. That's a round trip to the airport.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

ZOE is battery rental, so you would not need to worry about that. But it obviously comes at a price

/M

On a trail somewhere .... not far from being stuck.