Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ionity's new EV charge pricing... is making a V8 make sense

and lets not go down the road of "EV's don't need servicing and dont break down" O yes they do..... Look at the numbers of drive train and general electric failures in Tesla cars.... I 100% would not own one out of warranty..... same as any expensive modern car....

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    and lets not go down the road of "EV's don't need servicing and dont break down" O yes they do..... Look at the numbers of drive train and general electric failures in Tesla cars.... I 100% would not own one out of warranty..... same as any expensive modern car....
    Of course, but again, that's another argument for the light, small, short range EV that does one job and does it well.

It's like what happened with diesels - they used to be really, really simple things. They were for stationary engines and lorries, or maybe a car if you didn't need to go fast. What happened though is they tried to make it powerful and refined and succeeded, but add in the demands of emissions and something simple became complex and unreliable. The further you push a tech out of its comfort zone, the more compromises and stresses you place on it.

It's the same with EVs - the trend is the whole long range, all the toys, complete replacement for an ICE car while getting from 0-60 faster than a Caterham, oh and if we could charge it real fast, that'd be cool too. It's perfectly doable, but they also get expensive, require lots of resources to make, have lots of inherent CO2 before you turn a wheel and you add complexity with things like heat management and transmissions/differentials that can take the torque.

On the other, wee thing for tipping round that doesn't totally replace ICEs - probably have a more beneficial eco effect, much more rapidly, because if the endgame is helping sort climate change, you really need to be doing stuff that has an impact within 5 rather than 10/20 years.

I think what I'm seeing more of are problems with chargers (to somewhat stick to the original theme of the thread). I guess there's some learning to be done on how to make them reliable and perhaps on how to maintain them.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I think what I'm seeing more of are problems with chargers (to somewhat stick to the original theme of the thread). I guess there's some learning to be done on how to make them reliable and perhaps on how to maintain them.
    Ah but if you're not using EVs for long trips - less of an issue. Apparently a lot of the chargers, at least the ESB ones are getting broken through user ignorance and misuse.

I’ve certainly encountered many more faulty chargers than I have issues with my i3 so I think I’m sticking with my previous post. I also don’t think it’s cable or connector related. As an example, the rapid charger in Sandyford wasn’t working correctly for at least six months until they completely replaced it. Another rapid charger near me was out of whack for at least a month and they were working on it several times before it was working again. When you get used to the chargers you can tell if it’s something as simple as the cable or if it’s the generator or whatever that’s faulty and it’s usually the latter. Maybe the Chademo connectors get more abuse.

The i3 is the most reliable and cheapest to run car I’ve ever owned by a significant margin by the way. And running cost is definitely part of the equation.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
    ZOE is battery rental, so you would not need to worry about that. But it obviously comes at a price

/M

On a trail somewhere .... not far from being stuck.
    ZE40 (since 2017) ones are battery owned. And the batteries dont degrade like a Leafs due to active cooling. They're the ones Mrs SJ wants as they'll do 200km all year and 300km in ideal conditions.

Out of interest DMZ,what sort of range do you get from the i3?

It depends on a million things but somewhere around 180-200km usually which covers me nicely in my daily tipping about. About the furthest that I drive regularly is 130km and I made sure I got a car that can do it. No point in overspecing batteries and carrying around another 500kg or whatever. So far I have done 41kkm on electricity which probably cost me a a couple of hundred euro or something. Generally a CL500 fill-up equals a year of i3 driving. I’ve spent €7.38 on public charging so far. If you can get it to work it’s good stuff.
    I'm with the resistance