Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ionity's new EV charge pricing... is making a V8 make sense

Quote Originally Posted by KevC View Post
    Capacity. These chargers require a lot of juice and there is rarely enough spare capacity in the incoming line to add in a charging station without at least uprating it.
    Yeah, figures, but seems you've already got more in place already, plus parking and you can do a shop. Kinda seems like a better place to spend time than some BS "Services" area with overpriced coffee, artisan (overpriced) sandwiches and stuff.

I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    If you change at home anyway, then these are just to extend the odd journey or save you in a pinch.
    Yes.

I agree that competition's lower prices will drive people away from Ionity when there's a choice.

But when I get my ZOE ZE50 with CCS, maybe I'd occasionally need 20kWh of public charge on a journey (and that'd be very rare). So the choice there would be between €16 on Ionity and €7 on ESB. €9 difference.

If there was a queue of Leaves on the nearest ESB charger I wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra.

Anyway, if you're doing your TCO calculations based on doing all your charging on Ionity you're doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    ..in another sign of the times, I saw an AA "Electric Vehicle Support" van for the first time during the week. Presumably it just has a big diesel generator in the back, but it's reassuring to know it's out there I guess ..
    How would this work,getting a charge from this on the side of the road?

Would you just need to connect the electric car in for 10/15 minutes just to give it a quick boost?

this is a problem... but its also going to be a commercial reality.... You want a densilly populated charging network and for it to be online 24/7/365..... Then thats going to cost money.... and only making it commercially viable will it happen.... Cheap or free fuel is a thing of dreams..... going EV will not be about fuel savings..... not in the long term anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    How would this work,getting a charge from this on the side of the road?

Would you just need to connect the electric car in for 10/15 minutes just to give it a quick boost?
    ..dunno. I suppose it's like calling them when you run out of petrol and they turn up with a fivers worth to get you going...?

The EV fuel needs to be cheap, otherwise the value prop comes crashing down. If fast charging is prohibitively expensive then EVs will remain as a second car proposition and there’s no real reason to buy an expensive one with lots of battery. Funnily enough Ionity’s prime purpose is to support vehicles with large batteries so something doesn’t add up.

Anyhow, this is working wonders for the V8 man maths.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    The EV fuel needs to be cheap, otherwise the value prop comes crashing down. If fast charging is prohibitively expensive then EVs will remain as a second car proposition and there’s no real reason to buy an expensive one with lots of battery. Funnily enough Ionity’s prime purpose is to support vehicles with large batteries so something doesn’t add up.

Anyhow, this is working wonders for the V8 man maths.

I've yet to see an actual value prop for new EV. Especially if our taxes stop paying a chunk of the list price.

The people that can afford the big fancy battery cars, won't need to even check the pricing scale on the charger as fuel costs are relatively insignificant.

If the switch to EV is to work, the charging needs to happen at home and a fast charger visit is for emergencies or the rare long journeys.

In other words, they will remain as toy cars for tipping around locally. Which is exactly how I use mine and also represents 90%+ of my driving generally.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I read an article about another high speed charger crowd that is starting a rollout and they said that 350kW chargers are very expensive to install because they require their own substation and a direct connection to the grid and users should expect to pay prices similar to petrol. I’m sure Ionity is facing the same reality.

But you know, as a consumer do I give a toss? No I don’t really. If they want adoption they need to suck up the rollout cost and take a longer view otherwise this whole EV thing could die a death. Which maybe is the intention, who knows...

This is the whole problem. to move electric vehicles from niche to mainstream is going to require monumental amounts of grid investment, someone's going to have to pay for it, either taxpayers or users (or bond villian level billionaires)