Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The used car market in the short term

Quote Originally Posted by Flet View Post
    Funny, I was looking at me wife’s Volvo V40 this evening with the nOx charged in mind thinking ‘are you now worth more, or less?’
    Give it half a year or more, let it sink in and it will be more.

/M

On a trail somewhere .... not far from being stuck.

Yea the possibility that the euro 5 diesels stabilise in value is actually quiet real.
    Supply and demand and all that.

I've always driven and had the older 1990's-2000's petrol turbo yokes, they were fun, cheap to repair, easy to work on etc. Now for the first time ever I have come to see that they are now too hard to keep. Most need lots of repairs, have very high mileage, the old tax system is high and insurances are more and more refusing older cars. So now, here I am looking on donedeal for 2012+ turbo petrols that are fun and fast and cheap to tax but alas, I'm finding it hard. Have my eye on something but it's well over my budget so I'm starting to loose hope and interest.... Maybe take up another hobby like cricket or crochet...

Quote Originally Posted by Hammers View Post
    even model by model it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Example: Porsche announces the death of the turbo 4 pot in Boxsters and Caymans, but the replacement 4.0 is going to be more than 2k to tax here. Nobody will want the old cars in the UK, but
    there'll be a huge market for them here.
    I dont think they are stopping producing 4 cylinder Boxsters and Caymans.
    For the time being anyway it's only the GT4 and GTS that use the 6 cylinder I think.

Another car that should would well here regarding taxes and running costs is the Alpine A110 but its unlikely they'll become very common here either.

Quote Originally Posted by bigroad View Post
    Yea the possibility that the euro 5 diesels stabilise in value is actually quiet real.
    Supply and demand and all that.
    I was leaning the same way. What I was thinking was that if the new sales skew to petrol/hybrid, and there’s a major import penalty be it on nox or VAT + VRT post-Brexit then the derv fleet that’s here... that’s it.

What would really affect those cars is an urban diesel ban a la London or Germany, but I can’t see that happening here in the short term.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

I think Bloke, my fellow diesel hater, wanted to talk petrol... There’s no shortage of diesel in Ireland and won’t be for a long time.

I’d say the VAG 2l turbo petrol is the obvious choice. The BMW 6-cyl petrols also. Alfa Giulia in various tunes, you’re not going to suffer there.
    I'm with the resistance

To be honest the thoughts of this have been scaring the bejesus out of me for the last while, I think its pretty unpredictable, or at least I can't predict whats going to happen. There is so much talk of hybrid and electric that it is going to start affecting peoples choices, but then a lot of people can't afford new and there isn't much used supply, not to mention the fact that if you are going electric the current rate of range increase means that you don't want something 3 or 4 years old.

Older diesel stuff technically isn't economical to import anymore, but then potentially if this causes these same cars prices to stagnate here (I doubt they'll increase) eventually will it become economical to import again? probably not, do we just end up with a country full of ancient auld diesels and a load of small petrols?

There is still interesting stuff out there, but there is a lot less of it and its harder to find and most of the really special stuff has dried up since 2008 with the insane tax rate.

Then of course long term the whole brexit thing could make importing from the UK prohibitively expensive altogether, which is a bit of a problem.

Its scared me enough to want to buy a manual V8 now before its too late!
    Dr Per Gillbrand - "“All engines have an oil pump, a fuel pump and a water pump, so why not an air pump, which is all a turbo really is? I think it’s odd that all engines don’t have one!”

So when the brexit brexit thing happens there will be a very small amount of UK imports.
    Does anyone know how many general run of the mill diesels were imported last year.

I would suggest that if the used market is void of interesting cars and importing something is prohibitively expensive then more people should consider going new.

It is difficult to sympathize with anybody bemoaning the lack of interesting non-diesel ~10 year old and newer cars in Ireland but ultimately the pre-owned market is a reflection of the cars people buy new. If nobody is buying interesting new cars then guess what happens when you go trying to buy a 10 year old example of a car nobody bought when new.

We are peak car in a lot of respects right now. We are at the peak of naturally aspirated & forced induction petrol motors, diesels, automatic transmissions, pretty much everything. Ireland is a country where a hot hatch makes incredible sense and the amount of incredible performance and all round ability available in modern hot hatches means that is probably where the sweet spot is - reasonable pricing and running costs combined with great performance.

Of course it is most likely that nobody will do this and people will be moaning for the next 10 years that there are no interesting used petrol engine cars for sale in Ireland.

Ford Mustang GT Premium | Kia Stinger GT | Jaguar XJ-S V12 | MGF VVC