Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 41495051

Thread: General Election 2020 - Sat 8th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I'll give you another data point. I was talking to a Brazilian girl in the office, in all likelihood the lowest paid person in the place. Happy as anything and rents a place in Donnybrook. If she complains about anything it's the weather. Maybe she's not used to full employment, low taxes, free pretty much everything, so has a different perspective.
    Or maybe her partner is pulling in a good wage and she is only doing the job for pin money.
    FIANNA FLET......a lot of fletting done, more fletting to do

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    I'll give you another data point. I was talking to a Brazilian girl in the office, in all likelihood the lowest paid person in the place. Happy as anything and rents a place in Donnybrook. If she complains about anything it's the weather. Maybe she's not used to full employment, low taxes, free pretty much everything, so has a different perspective.
    What i wouldnt give to work in an office with, happy Brazilian woman who can afford to rent in D4.The 1% really do have it all.
    Dont suppose youv any pics ......

Hi hi.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    They have a certain amount of control and yes, rich people get pandered to because they fund campaigns and provide favours. Middle class people (like yourself) get prioritized over poor people because they vote.

However, even though individual governments worldwide set things in not that got us to where we are, they don't have a lot of control over unintended consequences of what people do as a result or what happens when they lack the foresight to keep an eye on certain aspects of finance.

A small state like Ireland has no control over whether the last or next financial crisis happens. Sure, they could deal with the fallout in different ways, but that doesn't always work out as planned, just as current policy has problems.

You can plan to build houses, but you've already got a home owner legacy.

You can set a spacial strategy, but tech companies still cluster on a few cities worldwide.

You can set carbon taxes but other nations might not follow suit or your plans may create another eco problem.

There are individuals in the world who have more wealth than entire sovereign states and even when they use it for good world far too much power via NGOs.

A simple virus can potentially destroy economies and destabilise entire governments.

Social media is being used to create misinformation, manipulate perception and create increasingly extreme and divisive beliefs.

Markets are irrational, mother nature has a temper, technology moves faster than beuracracy, the world is a complex, scary unpredictable place.

The biggest lie any party will sell you is the illusion of control, but hey, believe what you want.
    Im not disagreeing with any of that, but our elected have a responsibility to the citizens.
    Its written in the so called constitution they hide behind when it suits them.
    They have a job to legislate for fairness, for a better way of life for all inhabitants, even the Brazilians.
    They have the power, the mandate etc to do just that but as we see with the FFG hicup of the last few years, they failed to do any thing, and almost anything they tried was an awful mess

Of course outside elements can trip you up but l fairness, this little coutry is flying at the moment.
    Massive inward investments, the space and budget to do lots of good.
    Yet we have chronic shortages in all departments while spending billions on a hospital being built in the worst possible location in the whole country, it will be a medical temple bar when people start arriving.

Nearly 1 billion on a court house, in the most expensive peice of real estate in the country

1 Billion on irish water, and that saga hasnt gone away.
    And IW are now dictating planning regulations slowing a whole delayed process of planning even more.

An article today showing 19million in 2019 paid to a hand full of hotels

These problems are not the result of global economics.

The election result proves the stupidity and vanity of these people.
    People who can make catastrophic mistakes, costing billions of euro of taxes payers money, and then show up for re-election telling us what they are doing is working giving themselves a raise, a pat on the back.....
    Working for who? Where?

They have or had the power after FF, FG had a massive opertunity but they lacked ability to capitalise on it.

Im glad to see the result they got in this election.
    And i sincerely hope they never have power again.

The End.
    Last edited by Rennwagen; Today at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crank_case View Post
    Yup, but the solution is always seen as buy a house which perhaps contributes to the problem rather than also put some decent structure in place around renting. Most of us buy just to get away from the problems and poor value of renting, I know I did. I was in no rush to buy, but it got to a point where you're just like, screw it, I'm paying a lot of cash out for crap accomodation and the landlord is too dumb to even let my wife paint the walls a color she likes (I mean, they place needs to be repainted every so often anyway).
    Which location did you rent?

Im curios, we have a natural dependancy on rented property until such time as we can afford to buy and
    We have massive amounts of state owned property that nobody wants to rent.
    A population of homless middle class people living with mummy
    A state that wont build house's and a construction industry's hijacked by reits who want to own all property

How do you sort that lot out? ( not you)

We shpuld Have an election and appoint a government........
    Last edited by Rennwagen; Today at 01:04 AM.