Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 2020 - Sat 8th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    I'd be inclined to vote Green. Fcuk it lads, we gotta do something. Lip service to climate action goes for everybody. We can't keep at this sh1t. Our urban areas for the most part are horrendous inhuman spaces. Bad air, noise, bursting at the seams, and the elephant in the room is traffic and yes the private car.
    I drive, I love cars, I drive kids to school, I drive to work. But it's clear as the nose on my face to me that this has to be changed. I'm afraid of my life to leave my (bordering on adult!) children walk or cycle the streets.

T'ain't right.
    That is fine for those living in an urban setting - I don't believe that the Greens think out their policies well enough, as they may well suit the built up areas, but an allowance needs to be made for rural Ireland. The Greens are so far from the pulse in rural Ireland, that I really don't think that they should be allowed into power - more sensible decision making is what we need, not ideological Green party members. FWIW, I am very environmentally conscious and have been in the renewable energy business for over 15 years now, so should be voting Green, but I just don't trust them to make sensible decisions for the whole country.
    That said, I think that they will do well in this election with the younger, and more urban voters.

I'm not sure who you'd trust to make sensible decisions for the entire country in fairness.

Call me cynical, but you can kinda see why everything comes down to spreadsheets as DMZ says and "he fixshed the rhoad" parish pump stuff.

If none of them have any sort of coherent overarching plan, you might as well get something out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    FG are portraying themselves as the modern ones (climate blah blah blah) with a more urban and dynamic (within reason) appeal, FF are about the old stuff. There's not going to be any talk of changing anything from FF.
    Funny - you wouldn't have said this when Enda Kenny was leader of FG...
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Micheál says he won't use the government jet to fly back home to Cork if he becomes Taoiseach
    Micheál , your alive! You where very quiet there , we taught you where dead , whats that , your pitch, I wont abuse the state services

Grrrrreat! Thanks for clearing that up , now back to the bill of €30,000 on commercial flights flying between his constituency in Cork and Dublin while he was Minister for Health, the Sunday Independent revealed in 2014.

Between the lot of them ,regardless of the party he is associated with; the only politician who has tackled issues as priority to the electorate is Pearse Doherty; he did some excellent work exposing the Insurance Industry, hopefully the Consumer Insurance Contracts Bill will curtail the dual pricing

I cannot think of any other politician in 2019 who added any value, just scandal after scandal between TD's voting for Colleagues , fraudulent expenses, printers, Aerfort Chonamara , swing-gate... looks like the tax payer is going to bail out the FAI

Who needs spitting image ....
    Doing it with Twins is better than being Single
    http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showthread.php?7376-TRD3000GT-Project

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    I'd be inclined to vote Green. Fcuk it lads, we gotta do something. Lip service to climate action goes for everybody. We can't keep at this sh1t. Our urban areas for the most part are horrendous inhuman spaces. Bad air, noise, bursting at the seams, and the elephant in the room is traffic and yes the private car.
    I drive, I love cars, I drive kids to school, I drive to work. But it's clear as the nose on my face to me that this has to be changed. I'm afraid of my life to leave my (bordering on adult!) children walk or cycle the streets.

T'ain't right.
    But the reason we have bad air in urban areas and are stuck with dirty diesels is because of the Green Party. I fully understand we need to do something but I'll never trust them or vote for them after that.

Like yourself would love to be in a position to be cycle commuting and have a much greener approach. Cycle lanes and infrastructure will help get my vote. Sick of the tax this approach without an alternative offer.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    Funny - you wouldn't have said this when Enda Kenny was leader of FG...
    No I would not. But it seems FG and FF kind of jockey for position around more or less the same stuff and sometimes one is here and the other is there and vice versa. FG was supposedly the social democrats back in the day when McCreevy gave us lots of tax cuts and stuff. Maybe they still are, who knows, but they were truly lost for a while. I think FG has a clearer view of themselves now.

Bloke, I agree re the Greens. Stuff needs doing. It's awful out there. I hope they do well (I think they will) and take on an improved urban environment and actually do something constructive and practical to improve things.
    I'm with the resistance

I'm still surprised that there is no PD type party.

Ideologically, FG and FF are pretty much the same shade of beige, being just right of centre. I would have thought a party further to the right of these two would be popular. I not talking about the far right populist bullsh*t we've seen spring up globally over the past 5 years, or the religious right lunacy of Renua, but a traditional fiscally conservative, cut the dole, bash the unions party.

This has always surprised me too seeing as the PDs is the sort of party I would support. Simple clear message as well, do stuff more efficiently. And it's not exactly difficult to start a small party in Ireland given that you only need a few thousand votes in a constituency to get elected and with the party fragmentation these days you can also end up in government without too much difficulty.

But realistically, new political movements are born out of something. I guess in the 80's something happened that created the PDs. After the crash and the whole water debacle there was a lot of disillusionment with parties in general and instead of a new party being born it seems independents got a fair share. I think the reality is that there aren't really earth shattering issues in Ireland other the good ol poor planning and management that translates to a dysfunctional healthcare system, crappy infrastructure, crippling insurance and all that stuff but best of luck getting anyone excited about that. Generally you need some immigrants to complain about but we seem to be pretty good at integrating ourselves into Irish life that nobody gets worked up about it a whole lot.

I think if someone gets on top of a clear compelling message, they can disrupt things massive in Ireland as there are, as you say, a lot of beige samey parties here talking about much the same things they've always talked about and most of them have been in government at some stage in the last 20 years with little to show for.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by davemx-5 View Post
    But the reason we have bad air in urban areas and are stuck with dirty diesels is because of the Green Party. I fully understand we need to do something but I'll never trust them or vote for them after that.
    That was the unintended consequence of a policy intended to reduce CO2 emissions. It worked. Average emissions of cars sold in 2007: 164g/km, 2010: 133 g/km.

Quote Originally Posted by JPW View Post
    That was the unintended consequence of a policy intended to reduce CO2 emissions. It worked. Average emissions of cars sold in 2007: 164g/km, 2010: 133 g/km.
    Be interested to see the skyrocketing graph of particulates and nitrous oxides to accompany that period though. Ameliorate one problem by creating a worse one.

Bit like the Simpsons plan for solving the pigeon infestation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9yruQM1ggc