Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 2020 - Sat 8th Feb

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Picking/ranking candidates based on their individual merit makes a lot sense particularly when the parties are very similar.
    Funnily enough this has always been a strength of FF and FG - they get a lot of barrister types to run as candidates so their individuals tend to be pretty well spoken. SF used to struggle with this, but a bit less so now.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

It's like watching a bunch of retards on a slow moving training claiming that they each turned the corner. If any of them come to my door they will be told to fu<k off I am so sickened with the lot of them.
    We all stood around in a circle naked, thrusting our clinched fists in the air screaming "Jap Power!!"

Posters
    On the N11 this evening I noticed that there were two sets of FF posters up
    Cormac Devlin had the byline asking that your second vote should be passed to Mary Hanafin.
    Mary Hanafin posters made no reference to her running mate, it appeared on one, with his name covered up,
    the rest of the posters seen had the bottom line removed completely, a bit sleeven like.
    No Political preference, but reported matter to Mount Street.

I think Sjs summary is reasonable. Greens might research their next environmental plans a bit more after dieselgate?

The greens will get a lot of the younger vote and in areas with multiple andidates they will get a lot of second or third preference votes as they are seen as easier to vote for than the harder left or shinners. They also do.well in well to do areas.

Given the posts ive seen on social media from my more rural aquintences and ones who would be more left leaning they are being labelled as the most anti rural party in existence who want to destroy rural ireland. So i cant se them winning much outside the large urban population areas

Quote Originally Posted by mikerd4 View Post
    The greens will get a lot of the younger vote and in areas with multiple andidates they will get a lot of second or third preference votes as they are seen as easier to vote for than the harder left or shinners. They also do.well in well to do areas.

Given the posts ive seen on social media from my more rural aquintences and ones who would be more left leaning they are being labelled as the most anti rural party in existence who want to destroy rural ireland. So i cant se them winning much outside the large urban population areas
    Alternatives to cars will not sit well with the rural population. I feel you are right with this prediction.

I think the Greens might do well in urban areas at least. It’s quite clear what they stand for which is not a common trait of a party around here. And clarity and simplicity of message is very important.

I think I mentioned it before but I think the fault lines are a little different particularly between FG and FF. I think it’s modern vs conservative. FG will go hard on climate change so will compete with the Greens and maybe things like broadband as well as all the usual healthcare etc that no one seems to be able to fix. I don’t get the sense that this is going to be the typical spreadsheet type of election where all the parties fall over themselves promising lots of spend and lots of tax cuts. It seems more issues based.

I’m also somewhat curious to see if Irish parties will use modern targeting techniques to fine tune the message for different constituencies eg rural vs urban pitch. That divide is very big in Ireland. I’m guessing “no” to a large extent as they don’t have the funding for sophisticated marketing campaigns and will rely on broadcast media to repeat their messages for free.

I’m incidentally expecting a very similar government with FG and FF working together again and not a whole lot changing other than whatever the EU is mandating.
    I'm with the resistance

I think the 'issues' are housing, health and childcare, with a lot of lip service to climate.
    However I don't think any party has a substantially different approach to any of these, nor do I think any party is likely to be any more successful than any other at tackling them.

Genuinely don't know which of FF and FG you think is the modern one?!
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

FG are portraying themselves as the modern ones (climate blah blah blah) with a more urban and dynamic (within reason) appeal, FF are about the old stuff. There's not going to be any talk of changing anything from FF.

I'd say people are bored with housing, health, and childcare and it will actually be about something else. Something more emotive. Probably something random.
    I'm with the resistance

I'd be inclined to vote Green. Fcuk it lads, we gotta do something. Lip service to climate action goes for everybody. We can't keep at this sh1t. Our urban areas for the most part are horrendous inhuman spaces. Bad air, noise, bursting at the seams, and the elephant in the room is traffic and yes the private car.
    I drive, I love cars, I drive kids to school, I drive to work. But it's clear as the nose on my face to me that this has to be changed. I'm afraid of my life to leave my (bordering on adult!) children walk or cycle the streets.

T'ain't right.