Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: General Election 2020 - Sat 8th Feb

Seeing as this is a motoring forum, I had a quick look at the transport policies of the different parties as of today. I’m sure they’re going to fine tune their manifestos over the next couple of weeks but here it is:

Fine Gael: doesn’t have one
    Fianna Fáil: got a hit on Google but their web site now just talks about a United Ireland
    Labour: doesn’t have one
    Green Party: urban and rural rail investment, EV infrastructure, various urban initiatives to incentivise alternatives to cars
    Sinn Fein: doesn’t have one
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by richardsheil View Post
    How unusual given your huge interest in elections in USA. Can you explain that?
    Only one thing interests me in Irish politics and that's a united Ireland and we seem to be further away from that than ever now over Brexit. Also down here especially the Healey Rae's and Ferrisi clan would turn anybody off politics.

So twitter is hopping mad today because a homeless man was injured (some even say his leg was ripped off) by a digger that was removing a squaller, and obviously, it is Eoghan Murphy's fault.
    Like, yeah he was personally driving that digger.
    FFS.

And FF is going mad about the housing crisis. Who's fault is it we were ruined for the better part of ten years and could not afford to buy new shoe laces again??
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by hi-rev View Post
    And FF is going mad about the housing crisis. Who's fault is it we were ruined for the better part of ten years and could not afford to buy new shoe laces again??
    Other parties have their shortcomings for sure but it's way too early for that lot to be rehabilitated.

Ff as a party i couldnt give a hoot about despite my wifes family being ff diehards. They ran the country badly and left us in a total mess. That said i know one of the ff candidates in my area and he has helped me out (not in the cute hoor vote grabbing way) and id happily vote for him personally. The other ff guy id probably vote sf in front of hes a horrible self righteous man full of his own importance.
    Listening to Micheal on newstalk yesterday was like they were never in power or to blame for anything thats wrong with the country today.

I pretty much know my 1 to 4 votes already and thats without looking at posters or manifestos...

Picking/ranking candidates based on their individual merit makes a lot sense particularly when the parties are very similar.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by hi-rev View Post
    So twitter is hopping mad today because a homeless man was injured (some even say his leg was ripped off)
    Irony, intentional.
    No, won't go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flet View Post
    I love a General Election the way others might regard the hurling or the drink. .
    Yes, I see you can't hide your election.

Keeping the level of intellectual discussion high, you're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by 8~) View Post
    Irony, intentional.
    No, won't go there.
    Oh! . Sorry dident spot it till now
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    It's funny how a discussion about Irish politics is always about the result, not what the parties stand for in terms of policy and not some stuff that happened 100 years ago.

I have yet to understand in any election what the differences are if any. Some are arrogant, some want to dish out free iPhones, some want "new politics" whatever the hell that is, some are Republican (vs what?), etc etc etc. I just can't relate to this stuff. So if anyone has figured this out, I'd be interested in a brief summary. Oh and if you think any of them will actually achieve anything of note, I'd be interested in that too.
    FF - centre right, slightly more in favour of social spending than FG. Have a reputation for exuberance.
    FG - centre right, slightly more in favour of pro-business initiatives than FF. Have a reputation for caution.
    Labour - classic centre left, not going anywhere as still tainted by coalition with FG during austerity.
    SF - slightly to the left of Labour. Have never been in power so not tainted by anything they've done in the past. Oh no wait...
    Soc D - no different to Labour except they have had trouble attracting good candidates - Stephen Donnelly left for FF which was a body blow.
    Green - they're Greens.
    PBP, etc - they believe Ireland is a failed state - classic populist.
    Independents - probably want more stuff near you and distrust them up in Dublin.

In terms of what anyone might achieve- I think the Greens in coalition is the only plausible outcome that would be significantly different from the other plausible outcomes. I suspect you might want to avoid that, on the basis that they might implement some ill thought out stuff.
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)