Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: small, modern classic

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Yeah, I had a Tipo 1.4 i.e alright, and I just got rid of a 1990 Suzuki Alto. Have a Civic now, it’s fantastic. I had a 89 Lancia Y10 Fila previously, that was a hoot.

You won’t regret buying an 80s/90s small car!
    Great, you'll note that a Honda Civic Mk4 is firmly on my list of possibles (hint, hint), but seriously, well wear. I love the originality of that one.

Pic of my Uno. Its probably not worth my while selling it judging by the price of the above example. I spend more on bicycles!

I have been down the small cheap modern classic runabout thing a few times now and it never turned out to be cheap or easy. Cars of that era might have been economical on fuel in their day but by modern standards they are thirsty. Get anything unusual and parts availability can be an issue and NCT time can be frustrating when it fails which happens a lot.

My advice would be that if you do really need a second economical runabout you should get something like a recent Yaris / Fiesta etc. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Now I treat my classic as classics and have abandoned any notion that they are suitable daily drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by itsfixed View Post
    You're bang on there, Mick, but needs must.. There were other 205 derivatives close to this, such as the Roland Garros, the five door GT, and GTX, right? They do seem undervalued in market terms compared with its arch rival, the Citroen AX GT, which is also on my dream top ten.

Either way I'd be in for a long search and would need lots of luck, right enough.

IIRC, I think I did ask you a while back about an old Peugeot 205 1 litre you had? Probably long gone at this stage, though.
    The little 1L 205 is still at my sisters house but was assigned field car duty a while back. It’s not good now I’m ashamed to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Yeahi, I had a 89 Lancia Y10 Fila previously, that was a hoot.

You won’t regret buying an 80s/90s small car!
    Yep, the little Lancia is a hoot to drive, I drove one around some of the back roads in the Caribbean (as you do) great fun! If you could get your hands on a Citroen Ax GTi it would be epic, best fun I've had in a little car until I got the Cappuccino !

Would you not consider getting ahead of the curve rather than whats been considered classic already (hence demanding a premium) lots of interesting cheaper cars falling into that nowhere land between old car and classic, examples.

Audi A2
    Ford Puma
    VW Lupo

I've owned two of the cars on the initial list.
    The Citroen AX is smaller than a VW Up, tiny by today's standards. The early ones had a terrible interior, with flimsy and brittle plastic trim. From the end of '91 the facelifted version was much improved in that regard. As it weighed only 650 kg, even the 1.1 engine was brisk enough, The 1.4 GTi would be as quick as a current base model MX5.
    It had a fair bit of body roll and didn't handle as sharply as its stablemate, the 205 though.

The Peugeot 205 XS 1.4 was perhaps not as desirable as the 205 GTi, but quite a bit lighter and very short geared, so it didn't give up much in speed and had better weight distribution. A motorway cruiser it was not, doing about 4000 RPM at the speed limit, but it had great steering feel and was right at home on a backroad. If I could have back any car I owned in the past it would be this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGJKvv9mj5k

If I was looking for a cheap runabout I'd try and get something that has some element of safety features built in,
    especially if it was intended to be used more regularly.

I wouldn't fancy having a tip in something like a Citroen AX or Fiat Uno.
    I know my 205 would offer the same protection as a wet paper bag.
    As some others have mentioned,would something like a Fiesta or Clio be suitable?

Good luck on the search anyway

205 XS , I nearly bought one in the late 80s, it was a Lacost version. Nice.
    Deadly Dave

If you do go for something more modern, I've a 2006 Grande Punto Sporting - drop me a PM if you like
    Based in Trim so not too far from you
    No colour or religion ever stopped the bullet from a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Alfaguy View Post
    Pic of my Uno. Its probably not worth my while selling it judging by the price of the above example. I spend more on bicycles!

I have been down the small cheap modern classic runabout thing a few times now and it never turned out to be cheap or easy. Cars of that era might have been economical on fuel in their day but by modern standards they are thirsty. Get anything unusual and parts availability can be an issue and NCT time can be frustrating when it fails which happens a lot.

My advice would be that if you do really need a second economical runabout you should get something like a recent Yaris / Fiesta etc. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Now I treat my classic as classics and have abandoned any notion that they are suitable daily drivers.

Fair enough Alfaguy, but there's no bubble to burst here. I'm going into this with my eyes wide open. I think it comes down to your expectations, which are, in turn, very much determined by past experience. I'm not new to classic car ownership, but its absence in my life over the last five years has been a serious itch and now I have the opportunity to get into it again, but also combining it with my other favourite motoring philosophy, Bangernomics. I'm totally not expecting a trouble free life but I do intend to chose the best car I can afford, so I've made a virtue of looking to superminis as a cost-effective and practical way back into it. I ran three BMW 2002s, (including a wonderful Tii that I should never have sold, but hey) very happily as my only cars for the best part of 10 years but I'd imagine that a decent 20-30 year old supermini would be a bit easier and cheaper to run than that, as well as being straightforward to service and fix. It could all go horribly wrong, of course, but i live an otherwise very sensible, responsible life, so this is a chance to live a life a little less ordinary, however pathetic that sounds. I live round the corner from a guy who has run a succession of classics as daily drivers ranging from a fiat 600 van, cortina mk3, Talbot Rapier to his current yoke, a Saab 99, and he is my hero (and a nice guy to boot). Indeed, the social side, which I value even more now than before, is another reason to do this. I've met so many people through doing the Retro Classics buyers guide and the occasional show or C&C, and I devour Practical Classics every month, whose editors frequently espouse the inherent 'greenness' of the hobby but also using the cars regularly rather than just for shows, which I totally believe in.

We can just about rely on one car these days so even if a new classic banger proves more troublesome than expected, it's not going to cause ructions compared if it was something we had to depend on. However, I am mindful of things like safety and reliability, which frequently makes me wonder if I shouldn't stick to a German, Jap or Swede rather than a French, Italian or British yoke, but condition and regular use is the magic formula for me here, I think. For instance, I'm considering going looking at a minter of a 1988 Uno 45 with 27k miles that i know is used regularly (4k over the last two years) that I could probably get for 2k if the wife would go for it, but what's holding me back is that its the wrong colour, a four-speeder and its not a FIRE engine. Yours, on the other hand, would be far more appealing but, as you say yourself, it may not be worth your while at current market values.
    Last edited by itsfixed; 13-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.