Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted: small, modern classic

Wanted: small, modern classic

After five years out of classic car ownership and several buyers guides for Retro Classics under my belt (many of them courtesy of all the great folks here) I've persuaded the wife to consider replacing our dying 03 Nissan Micra with a dependable modern classic (ie mid-80s to mid-90s), supermini-type car that we can use as an occasional daily driver/second car and run on a classic insurance policy. We had considered consolidating to one car, but we live far out enough from the big smoke for this to be too much of a hassle.

So, some five years after I sold the last of a string of classic BMWs, I'm rubbing my hands at the prospect of a possible re-entry into the world of classic car ownership, albeit at what some might see as the blunt end of the market. But I've always been a big bangernomics follower, so the classic bangernomics approach, as I would term it, would really suit us right now.

My ideal, dream candidates would be a Peugeot 205 XS or GT (or similar) or a late-model Skoda Estelle/Rapid Coupe (yes, I just really like them) if decent usable ones could be found, but I also like the idea of having a car so slow that it requires you to drive it flat out all the time just to keep up with traffic, although something like a 2CV or a Renault 4 is probably outside our budget at this stage.

So very open-minded (see examples below) but must be an economical petrol, no bigger than 1.4, injection or carbs. Don't mind if it's superficially tatty but must be bodily and mechanically sound; and would prefer something with an NCT or at least evidence of recent usage as opposed to something that's been laid up for years and needing extensive recommissioning. But everything considered, all the same. I'm guessing any of the examples below would readily tick the box for being easy and cheap to maintain and not likely to be absolute rust buckets. I like Metros, for instance, but I'm slightly put off by the rust issues.

Peugeot 205
    Early Peugeot 106 or 306
    Citroen AX
    Renault 5 Mk2
    Renault Clio Mk1
    Fiat Uno
    Fiat Panda mk1
    Fiat Cinquecento Sporting
    VW Polo Mk1 or 2
    Opel Corsa A/Vauxhall Nova (three-door hatch only)
    Skoda Favorit
    Honda Civic Mk4
    Citroen BX
    Volvo 340

Wild cards:
    Skoda Estelle or Rapid coupe
    Lada Riva

Thanks in advance

Link to ad over on One Careful Owner:
    http://www.backroads.ie/forums/showt...163#post582163

So what is your budget? Might consider selling my Fiat UNO but that car is far from bangernomics territory - pristine with only 7,000 miles on the clock from new.
    Last edited by Alfaguy; 11-01-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Very good question, Alfaguy. I'd say 2k max but depends on the car. Probably a lot less than its market worth but in any case I'd feel guilty taking a pristine, museum quality example and putting it through the rigours of regular usage and no garage. I'd love to see a pic of it, though! I learnt to drive in a Uno 60s, would you believe, 1987 or 88 in light blue I think. Great cars. Then a Tipo, which might be another candidate....

Kaiser here normally has a line on some left field stuff like that

I dont think its going to suit you, I am contemplating letting go my 1988 Honda City soon, I was going to hold out until it goes through the NCT next and I was going to advertise for €1750 at that point.
    1.3 carb automatic
    JDM import
    NCT till april and vintage tax
    Body wise, its very very solid, paint lets it down. Faded with one rust spot on the bonnet and a scrap/drag where previous owner looks to have rubbed a wall on the passenger rear quarter.
    Quirky and very rare. I only know of one other that was in the country and it was sadly robbed/burnt out last year.

Mick.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    I dont think its going to suit you, I am contemplating letting go my 1988 Honda City soon, I was going to hold out until it goes through the NCT next and I was going to advertise for €1750 at that point.
    1.3 carb automatic
    JDM import
    NCT till april and vintage tax
    Body wise, its very very solid, paint lets it down. Faded with one rust spot on the bonnet and a scrap/drag where previous owner looks to have rubbed a wall on the passenger rear quarter.
    Quirky and very rare. I only know of one other that was in the country and it was sadly robbed/burnt out last year.

Mick.jpg
    Wow, that is absolutely positively amazingly brilliant! I would absolutely love that.

If you don't mind me asking, does the reg end in "66" (88-D-xxx66)? If so, I've seen it around a few times. So so cool
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Kaiser here normally has a line on some left field stuff like that

Hah, cheers baldrick.

I might have a line on a 93 high spec JDM Starlet. 1.3 16v, 5 speed, 100 bhp, 2 door with nice bumpers and seats etc, if that is of any interest?
    There's no light, There's only fire!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
    Wow, that is absolutely positively amazingly brilliant! I would absolutely love that.

If you don't mind me asking, does the reg end in "66" (88-D-xxx66)? If so, I've seen it around a few times. So so cool
    Thats the one, its 88-d-42766, iv owned it coming up on a year, loved every minute of it. But recently started back into trackdays so it might need to move on to free up space.

A 205 XS would be epic..... but where the hell would you find one.

If I ignore your engine size limit then the answer is an early 306 Gti-6

Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    Thats the one, its 88-d-42766, iv owned it coming up on a year, loved every minute of it. But recently started back into trackdays so it might need to move on to free up space.
    If itsfixed is doesn’t buy, could I take a look at it? That it *right* up my street.