Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday rental insurance Spain

Holiday rental insurance Spain

It looks like we are going back to Spain again in the summer. Just looking at flights and all that good stuff and we will be hiring a car again. Last year we got a car with Ryanair via Goldcar. Despite paying extra on the Ryanair rental booking (and it saying do not take out extra insurance at the desk), Goldcar still tried to get us to pay extra at the desk for 1 of 3 levels of insurance sayiing the cover we had bought wasn't good enough. I declined but I then spent the 2 weeks paranoid that the car would get a scratch/dent/ding and Id be liable.

So Im looking at car hire again. Murcia has 4 on site (Firefly/Goldcar/Sixt and Europcar) and 1 a shuttle bus away (Centauro) Firefly and Goldcar are nearly half the price of Europcar and Sixt. Are they simply just cheaper because they try to sell insurance etc to make up the difference or will Sixt/Europcar do the exact same thing?

Trying to figure out who is less hassle, and not just go with the cheapest up front

I would assume they’re all the same when it comes to insurance. I rented from Europcar and Avis last year, booked directly with each, and in both cases they were selling the usual insurance upgrades which I declined because my travel ins covers it. No hassle in either case on return.
    I'm with the resistance

I wouldn't use Goldcar, I used them before but amongst other things I didn't like is that they have that out full back empty stupid fuel policy and charge you a premium on the litre price. They are cheap, admittedly but that cost has to be recouped somewhere and I would imagine that charging for non existent damage could be part of that business model. I notice in Gran Can that they often have huge queues at the rental counters where you could pick up a car in 5mins from another company. For what it's worth, I note the interwebs are full of "Don't rent from Goldcar" threads so there must be something to that as well.

Europcar owns Goldcar, and had a fairly big Trading Standards raid in the UK due to charging for non-existent damage so I'd be steering clear of them too. Personally I find dealing with Sixt quite good.

Re excess and insurance, after an awful experience that involved being charged for non existent damage with Hertz a number of years ago I now only go with €0 excess for peace of mind. Oddly enough I like Enterprise, they're a bit rough and ready but privately owned and lenient enough on certain things.

If anyone is ever flying to the Canaries, there's a small family company out there called Topcar Autoreisen. They have a website that a child might have made circa 2003, and a strange booking procedure but they are friendly, decent and reasonable.
    2003 BMW 325i Sport Touring (E46)
    1998 Porsche 911 3.4 Carrera 2 (996)
    2018 Volvo V40 D2 R-Design
    2005 Adria Coral 630DH

As above run, run away fast from gold car into the reasonable, pretty hassle and cc free arms of autoreisen !
    You don’t have to go elsewhere on the internet’s for the lowdown on goldcar - they regularly feature in similar threads on here.

Oh wait a sec, I rented from Enterprise, not Europcar. I've also rented from Goldcar once or twice without hassle by the way and I know others who have too. But it was probably 5-6 years ago or some such.
    I'm with the resistance

From Murcia I would use Flemenca Cars. I haven't used them personally as I haven't been back there in a couple of years but know a few people that have. They are an English couple so no language barrier either

just take out the car with the standard insurance and take excess cover from carhireexcess.ie or simiiar for piece of mind. Dont even entertain there selling stories of towing charges, wheel damage etc.
    doesnt really matter who you rent off otherwise except gold car, there a shower of who shafted me before for cleaning charges after i retured the car dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Flet View Post
    If anyone is ever flying to the Canaries, there's a small family company out there called Topcar Autoreisen. They have a website that a child might have made circa 2003, and a strange booking procedure but they are friendly, decent and reasonable.
    We're just back from Lanzarote and there was a crowd called Cabrera Medina with an office on nearly every street corner. Most seamless rental ever. Walked in, quick sign, 2 drivers, Seat Ibiza 1.0 tfsi for 8 days and full insurance ("you can crash the car if you like and pay no thing!") for 140 quid. - I paid 350 for two bicycles for the same period!!!

WRT Spain. We rented from Sixt in Girona. Wasn't cheap but it was worth just paying out for the car and full insurance for the peace of mind. Was glad I did too because parking could be really tight and you'd very easily pick up a deposit penalty for a nick or a scratch.

Holiday in lanzarote every year, I have always used a small family business there called omnicars, Freddie Drummond is the lady's name, airport drop off etc. Reasonabke rates etc.

Sent from my TRT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    We're just back from Lanzarote and there was a crowd called Cabrera Medina with an office on nearly every street corner. Most seamless rental ever. Walked in, quick sign, 2 drivers, Seat Ibiza 1.0 tfsi for 8 days and full insurance ("you can crash the car if you like and pay no thing!") for 140 quid. - I paid 350 for two bicycles for the same period!!!

WRT Spain. We rented from Sixt in Girona. Wasn't cheap but it was worth just paying out for the car and full insurance for the peace of mind. Was glad I did too because parking could be really tight and you'd very easily pick up a deposit penalty for a nick or a scratch.
    And they have 500 abarths to rent!