Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What’s your car buzz?

The amount of friends I've made through cars is unreal. Met Smokey Bear one day in college when we should have been doing CAD, he was looking up DC2 stuff and I was on the 106 Rallye forum. The majority of my friends are petrol heads, love the banter at rallies and events and even just fooling around in the shed trying to fix stuff. Wouldn't trade that for the world.

Love randomly meeting fellow petrolheads at filling stations etc, just last night I was in my E39 and a guy with a JDM Spec B Legacy was at the pump next to me, spent a good few mins just chatting away while PCP-mobiles came and went around us.

Love going for a good blast, especially in the morning. Even better when there's a few of us out. A waft in the E39 on a dry, cold night with a few tunes or a podcast going is very enjoyable, too. It doesn't always have to be about maximum attack.

I like having the cars reasonably clean and fresh-looking, and find washing them quite therapeutic. Only once a month, mind.

Love writing about the things, have been lucky enough to drive some very cool stuff in the past and trying to share those experiences is a good buzz.

Just love cars, and I honestly don't know what would fill the void if and when they are taken away from us. Hope I won't be around for that.
    Financially embarrassed by a Clio 182 Trophy and some E39s
    www.sprintireland.com
    www.twitter.com/malonemaurice

I have never been a big one for car meets or show and shine although I do really enjoy a few hours at the weekend when herself is out with the kids and I get an uninterrupted period of time to clean/polish/repair. I go along to C&C when I can to have a wander around and enjoy a chat with like minded people. Above all you can’t beat a good spin on a quiet bit of your favourite tarmac. I genuinely think spending time with the car be it cleaning, maintaining or driving is therapeutic. It’s my form of mindfulness.

Quote Originally Posted by derekjohn View Post
    I have never been a big one for car meets or show and shine although I do really enjoy a few hours at the weekend when herself is out with the kids and I get an uninterrupted period of time to clean/polish/repair. I go along to C&C when I can to have a wander around and enjoy a chat with like minded people. Above all you can’t beat a good spin on a quiet bit of your favourite tarmac. I genuinely think spending time with the car be it cleaning, maintaining or driving is therapeutic. It’s my form of mindfulness.
    Spot on mate
    2005 Alfa 166 2.0TS Grigio Geo - mini project
    2003 Alfa 156 1.8TS Sportwagon Blu Cosmo - Daily Driver
    2002 Alfa 166 2.0 Blu Odissea - Donor
    2001 Alfa 166 3.0 Proteo Rosso - resting for now
    2000 Alfa 156 2.0 TS Selespeed Sportwagon Vela Blu - Donor
    1999 Alfa 166 2.0 TS Alfa Rosso - project
    1999 Alfa 166 2.5 V6 Grigio Nettuno - Track Car
    1984 Alfasud 1.5 Gold Cloverleaf Florentine Copper

Great thread!
    I love spending a good 6 hours cleaning the car, very satisfying! And the fact I have something different from the norm does it for me.
    1. Different to the norm
    2. Driving her when shes clean

I think I like all aspects of it actually. I was thinking the other day about a possible cross-continental drive this summer just because. I have a 5.5l V8 attached to a gran tourer so it would seem wrong not to do what it was built to do.

Apart from all the usual cleaning, waxing, and local hoons, I've been playing around with a few things. If I'm somewhere interesting I try to find the time/money to rent a decent car and explore local roads. Some good experiences from that but generally find that modern cars are a bit dull so I think I've concluded that I'm not going to go out of my way to do it. I'm also in all likelihood going to stick a car in the UK or some other country and do some fly/hooning with a type of car that is practically impossible to own here without getting raped.

Kudos to the project car people. I have found that I don't have the skills or patience but completely get the satisfaction from doing stuff.
    I'm with the resistance

I spend my time dreaming about getting back to Spa

Good thread.

As a product of the 70's west of Ireland farming I grew up with a a bit of an addiction to anything mechanical. Started with tractors cos I could drive them at around 8 years old and quickly moved to cars. Never much dosh around in my youth but old man liked that cars but could only afford old stuff - mainly fords and learned to drive in an very early snot green 1.6 capri. Got an old 2.0 Granada running that I used to trash around gravel roads, surprised I ever made it to adulthood sometimes.

I guess that background has me more interested in the spanner spinning and fixing rather than the show and shine. I like things to look nice but don't have the patience for the polishing and waxing. I attend the odd C&C but haven't met any of you personally as I tend to just wander around.

Done a few track days but none last year so might sort that this year. I'd like to to a skid school and some advanced track driving lessons as I am sure there is lots that can be done to improve my skills. Love a blast on an quiet country road but my true motivation is making a car better mechanically and getting it back to the designers original plan - i love the engineering side of things, aesthetics second.

Unfortunately with a 20 year old in college and 5th year trying to land a US sports scholarship I'm time and cash poor but hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel.

It’s a great thread. Like a lot of people here I just love cars in general but nothing beats a good drive. Funny enough as I’m sitting here eating my lunch in my car I’ve just had an awesome half hour of driving along lovely back roads in the west of Ireland but this is very rare. As my job dictates I do a lot of driving and 99% of it is dull but I still enjoy it. I did a few years of racing over 20 years ago but family circumstances lack of money/time or stopping me doing it again.
    While I don’t obsess about it I love having my car clean and like the cars and coffee type events just to look and appreciate other people’s motors.
    It’s getting even harder to be a car enthusiast in Ireland and that’s not a good thing.

Back in the Octane days I was very sure what I loved about the cars. For me it was all about spending as much time and money as I could afford on the car and ripping up a backroad at any available opportunity, interspersed with as many C&C events and trackdays as I could get to.

Many years later the priorities have shifted somewhat. I don’t make it to a whole lot of events anymore and I’ve had to tame back the exuberance a fair bit. But I still enjoy the car hobby, although it’s about as socially acceptable as smoking crack at the back of mass on a Sunday.

I’ve never had an appetite for competition. I tend to knock the craic out of enjoying the best of what a car can give. With some cars its tasty handling and a nice engine note, with some it’s a motorway on ramp at WOT and with others its settling in to a 2 hour drive with the best of tunes and comfy seats.

With the driving done, the cars are just like any other hobby, it’s a place to put the brain into freewheel mode. I enjoy planning out the next few jobs to be done, to optimise what’s best about the specific car, or even just talking car shoite with the lads. I even enjoy the more mundane stuff like sourcing service bits and keeping the old yokes tested and in good order

For me, I think I enjoy the build more than I do the drive these days... That being said I was so happy to be back behind the wheel of the Soarer over Xmas. I have been lacking anything sporty on the road for while before. And I've fallen down a rabbit hole of buying every project car I saw and am now overwhelmed with what I need to get done... which unfortunately has added stress to my life and remove a little joy from the whole ownership experience.

But then there is that one day every now and again, when you get stuck into that car job and you don't/can't stop at it. You skip meals and stay at it well after midnight... And I f**king love it!!

When you meet a random stranger for a small 10euro part in some Tesco carpark and you stay talking cars for 3 hours in the cold and rain... Just the best!

When you get a new car into the shed and you start planning everything out, researching parts, making the shopping list... Oh the excitement!

When after months or years of tinkering away at some ball of scrap... And suddenly it starts up for the first time, lands back on 4 wheels after way too long, you sit in the seat finally, drive it like you've been dreaming to, roll through the local town and have someone look twice, have some young lad in his shitbox civic he's worked on too give you a salute and let you out in traffic, and pull into a petrol pumps and have an elderly man walk over to you saying "Jaysus I haven't seen one of those around in along time".

That's what gives me a buzz!