Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another VRT question!

Yet another VRT question!

Iv always wanted a range rover P38, I dont know why, I just like the look, the road presence and the fact the Diesel is a 2.5 making the tax bearable. So back in December I spotted one on facebook market place that fitted the bill, 1998 so classic insurance was avaiable for €200, also converted to springs so the biggest worry of the airbag suspension going is gone.
    Only downside, Needs importing. No problem, i'v done this before.

Me being a idiot and living under a rock had no idea of this NOx charge, and of course the range rover maxes out the scale meaning what would have been €600 vrt is now €4850+€600.
    Or over triple the value of the car.

So, what are my options?
    Try and import it as a Crewcab?
    citizensinformation.ie states that the NOx charge is on all category A, but does not state for anything else?
    Can you even bring in Range Rover as crewcab anymore? All information I can find points to a loophole being closed for newer cars.

Sell it back up north?
    This is probably the best option but I am well aware the market for these is very small.

Part it out?
    The car is worth more in parts than what I paid for, Full Leather interior in good nick, all panels straight without rust and 5 very good matching wheels (tires not so much) but I am far too unskilled and lazy to do this!

I am not out too much money in this misadventure, and the afternoon spannering with my father makes up for the service parts I bought.

All advice and ideas welcome, feel free to call me a goose as this is fully my own fault for not being informed!

I'd strip it for parts or being a little lazier take it on the chin and bin it.

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Tapatalk

If you part it out, let me know. I need a few bits to put my crewcab registered one back on the road.

Might also be tempted to buy the whole car, if the price is right.

/M

On a trail somewhere .... not far from being stuck.

Tell them you bought it before the rules changed. They can’t have their cake and eat it. They either want the extra fines for it not being registered or want to assume it came in after the new NOX rule came in.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    Tell them you bought it before the rules changed. They can’t have their cake and eat it. They either want the extra fines for it not being registered or want to assume it came in after the new NOX rule came in.
    Thats not going to work..Revenue are clear in their terms that the nOX charge applies to cars based on the date of registration in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey Bear View Post
    You say that like you would be having a rational conversation with NCTS/Revenue. Never going to happen, unfortunately.
    GP2 | E30M3 | Clio Cup Racer

stash it till it turns 30.

long wait.....

Get it signed off as a commercial and it'll be cheaper to VRT with no NOX shite.

I done it with a Pajero last year, Originally a 7 seater on UK plates, Removed rear seats/belts. Fitted a bulkhead using original rear seat mounting points.

Got my certificate of conformity and that was accepted by revenue to register it as a commercial. VRT was €192 compared to €1100/€1200ish as a 7 seater!

Surprised there aren't more threads on these new import rules. Perhaps, like illness, no one cares to care until you actually catch it yourself!

Is it only older diesels are the big losers? How do petrols fare? Like the OP, are people only gradually beginning to realise its significance now?

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post

Is it only older diesels are the big losers? How do petrols fare? Like the OP, are people only gradually beginning to realise its significance now?
    Petrol's are cheap, plus it's capped at 600 for petrol. Likes of a Golf R, is something like 135 euro. Even big V8's are cheap.