Thread: Holiday Recommendations!

Holiday Recommendations!

Evening all, we are looking for some inspiration for holidays this coming year.

We are pretty open to anything apart from budget!

We don't have an exact figure in mind, or destination, or method of travel but as a bench mark for the budget we'd be thinking 10 days self catering / all inclusive somewhere in spain as an example.

Fly and car hire or ferry hop and drive, we have an old caravan so that's an option, was talking to LeoD about centreparcs which sounds great, also the wifes family are in Holland so Duinerell or similar could also be an option.

We've 3 kids aged 3 to 9 so there has to be loads for them to see / do, really fancied the ziplining place in Wales or something outdoorsy. Me and the missus love exploring so old historical places are a plus. we looked at hiring a villa in Croatia I think it was that was really cheap and there was a private pool as well. I'm sure that would keep the kids happy for a while!

Lastly my kids will be sick around September time just after the school holidays are finished so hopefully that will coincide with our Holiday

Any advice or simply your holiday experiences for a little inspiration would be great. We haven't had a decent holiday for a while so want to make this a good one, especially for the kids.
    THE LIMITS OF TYRANTS ARE PRESCRIBED BY THE ENDURANCE OF THOSE WHOM THEY OPPRESS.

Listen, for kids that age, the Ferry to France is the only gig in town to keep every one happy.
    My kids are all grown up now but when we think back those trips where allways the best.
    No airport, just a nice relaxing drive, followed by a sleep on the ferry and your in France.
    We stayed in a few camp sites, i think they where all europarcs, the best we found was Le grangoire ( spelling).
    It was an old country house with land, lakes, boats ball, pools etc, its a bit of a drive from roscoff , 4hrs from memory but good roads and plenty of stop offs along the way. 2 miles from the coast.
    Your really spoiled for choice over there, the french really do cater for young families on their campsites.

When we were kids, we did a few holidays like Rennwagen mentioned above. Ferry to France, a bit of a drive to a campsite. Most of them are really well set up for kids with loads of activities. I think an important part of those holidays are that the parents get a break as well, so kids clubs are brilliant that way. Drop them off for 2 hours while you go for a swim/read a book/go for a cycle or whatever. The 3 year old might be too young for them...

In 2017 we went to Majorca at the end of September with my then 4 year old girl. We picked the holiday mainly based on convenience and flight times but it worked out really well. From memory, we paid around €1200 for self catering with flights and transfers. There was a tourist tax of about €50 quid payable at the hotel.
    In 2018 we went in May. I tried to do the keycamp/eurocamp holiday to France, but price wise it just couldn't compete! So we went to Majorca again. This time it was about €1k all in as we went to a different (cheaper) hotel. Not as nice, but unless you are spending lots of time in the room then it didn't make much difference.

As I found in the past 3 kids are the issue, all package holidays are based on 2+2 and its hard to find anywhere that caters for 2+3 so like other we spent 6 years holidaying in France, we have don the trip on the boat with car(Brittney Ferries were better) and also did the fly drive, on the fly option we went to Toulouse and drove an hour up to a cam site in Sarlet and if you want historical places this is great with prehistoric caves to explore, the boat trip was great adventure for the kids and one year we did two sites, one in John De Mont and the other in Normandy and both were great as the kids had to suffer me bringing them to all the Normandy historical sites which they ended up talking about for years after,
    my option is go the drive route via boat first and then maybe do a fly drive

Quote Originally Posted by Rennwagen View Post
    Listen, for kids that age, the Ferry to France is the only gig in town to keep every one happy.
    My kids are all grown up now but when we think back those trips where allways the best.
    No airport, just a nice relaxing drive, followed by a sleep on the ferry and your in France.
    We stayed in a few camp sites, i think they where all europarcs, the best we found was Le grangoire ( spelling).
    It was an old country house with land, lakes, boats ball, pools etc, its a bit of a drive from roscoff , 4hrs from memory but good roads and plenty of stop offs along the way. 2 miles from the coast.
    Your really spoiled for choice over there, the french really do cater for young families on their campsites.
    Yeah, we all love camping to be fair. Well, I think the missus would fancy a bit of luxury but she's out voted haha. I've actually never been to France, only passed through on the way somewhere else so would be eager to give it a go. Thanks for the site info as well!

Quote Originally Posted by natnif View Post
    When we were kids, we did a few holidays like Rennwagen mentioned above. Ferry to France, a bit of a drive to a campsite. Most of them are really well set up for kids with loads of activities. I think an important part of those holidays are that the parents get a break as well, so kids clubs are brilliant that way. Drop them off for 2 hours while you go for a swim/read a book/go for a cycle or whatever. The 3 year old might be too young for them...

In 2017 we went to Majorca at the end of September with my then 4 year old girl. We picked the holiday mainly based on convenience and flight times but it worked out really well. From memory, we paid around €1200 for self catering with flights and transfers. There was a tourist tax of about €50 quid payable at the hotel.
    In 2018 we went in May. I tried to do the keycamp/eurocamp holiday to France, but price wise it just couldn't compete! So we went to Majorca again. This time it was about €1k all in as we went to a different (cheaper) hotel. Not as nice, but unless you are spending lots of time in the room then it didn't make much difference.
    That sounds nice as well to be honest, again Majorca is a place I haven't been so will have a look. The only problem with flying and car hire is that we need all the bloody extras they charge for, like boosters for the kids etc so price wise it starts creeping up. The hotel you stayed in, did it have facilities to cook and things? On previous holidays the ability to do a shop and cook our own grub has been invaluable to keeping the costs down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by dubal View Post
    As I found in the past 3 kids are the issue, all package holidays are based on 2+2 and its hard to find anywhere that caters for 2+3 so like other we spent 6 years holidaying in France, we have don the trip on the boat with car(Brittney Ferries were better) and also did the fly drive, on the fly option we went to Toulouse and drove an hour up to a cam site in Sarlet and if you want historical places this is great with prehistoric caves to explore, the boat trip was great adventure for the kids and one year we did two sites, one in John De Mont and the other in Normandy and both were great as the kids had to suffer me bringing them to all the Normandy historical sites which they ended up talking about for years after,
    my option is go the drive route via boat first and then maybe do a fly drive
    Yes thats what we are noticing alright, you'd think in this day and age there would be some amount of flexibility to these package deals. Shame as there are some great ones to be had...

Sarlet and Normandy sound amazing, this would be MY preference so far anyway! We had always hoped to do a bit of a euro tour / road trip across as many WWII sites we could in say 2 weeks Starting in France and ending in Poland say. Absolutely no chance now with the kids being so young but maybe when they're older, it would be cool though as we could hook up with the wifes family in Holland en route and do a mini break with them.

Thanks for the recommendations so far Gents, I'm seeing a definite pattern forming but still plenty of options within our grasp. Google awaits!
    THE LIMITS OF TYRANTS ARE PRESCRIBED BY THE ENDURANCE OF THOSE WHOM THEY OPPRESS.

It really depends on what you want. In general, Spain has excellent weather, excellent accommodation, is very touristy, and cheap. If you avoid the really touristy places it’s quite nice. Majorca is nice also but the same applies. Some nice parts and some total dives. Anywhere near the ferry in France will have what can be best described as mixed weather. Think Ireland that’s about 5 degrees warmer. I have generally found French accommodation to be appalling tbh and their ability to speak English evaporates once you’ve paid. But France is still France with great food and a bit of style and class. I think France is best if you like to drive, don’t mind the basicness of camp sites and don’t mind rain, for everything else it’s Spain.

I’ve stayed in hotels, apartments with shared facilities, the odd camp site, and have rented private villas with pool in brochure speak. Pros and cons with all of them which are probably fairly obvious. I think in your case I would look at an apartment or town house in a shared complex in Spain. Ideally ground floor so you have less hassle bringing all the stuff to/from the pool and with some decent outdoor seating so you can sit out in the evenings and eat and drink.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Ideally ground floor so you have less hassle bringing all the stuff to/from the pool and with some decent outdoor seating so you can sit out in the evenings and eat and drink.
    You have just transported me back to our last 'proper' holiday when we only had Ryan my eldest, I think he was 2/3 at the time so when it was his bedtime we were off back to the hotel room. It was on the southern bit of Sardinia, beautiful but the locals were not at all friendly. Still, we were on holiday and all was well, at night we'd Park ourselves on the balcony with a 3 litre bottle of delicious table wine, a book and a tub of queen olives bought at the local deli with a marinate I've not been able to find or replicate since. It was absolute bliss...

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

I go to south of France quite a bit...languedoc area..in around Carcassonne.
    There is medieval towns, Le Cite (the old Carcassonne castle town), Cathar castles lakes with beaches on them and a wealth of beautiful villages and walks etc.
    There’s an abundance of places to stay (loads of self catering on airB&b.
    It’s all lovely but not crazy busy.

If you need any further info let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    New Audi Demonstrator
    2018 MINI Cooper Clubman Chili

We did the French camping thing several times when I was a kid, and I've been back to parts since - would recommend. We also drove all the way to spain for camping, and my folks liked that so much they bought an apartment there (L'Estartit still has great campsites). Long drive but pretty good. I think if you're doing the drive to France, it's worth sucking it up and heading to the south - the weather is much more variable in the north or the Vendee.

Personally I would try to get to Lake Garda, but then I've never enjoyed the Spanish coast...
    "All the finesse of a badger." (cdiv)

Another thing, if you end up flying... the child seats are indeed a pain. When the kids got older we used to strap the booster seats to the check-in luggage so we would not pay €20 a day for something that costs about €20 to buy. We also had some kind of all in one buggy system that included a car seat that we also used sometimes. It's not just the charge for the seats, it's the fact that they just hand them to you at the desk, they've invariably been vomited on several times previously, and then you have the fun of trying to fit them to the car in baking heat and screaming children.
    I'm with the resistance