Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The $850 prius

The $850 prius

Bought off a friend who wanted it gone.

No starting, acting weird when jumped and body/interior rough.

Took a chance it was the 12v battery...

As I got it:

Gave it a good wash and got a real lay of the land!

So then I went to AutoZone with the battery,asked about the warranty on the battery and they gave me a new one.
    A real boon as they're $217 for the AGM gel mat battery these take!

Threw in the new battery saw the mileage at 160k miles, no warning lights and runs sweet as a nut !

Now I'm thinking of putting the Benz on a classic policy and dailying a Prius,or flip the thing before I register it. They go for 4.5k here with these miles so it's tempting, but I could probably drive it a year and save some cash !

What you're seeing on the roof is sun/hailstone damage.
    2005 toyota sequoia, 1993 300d, 2009 prius, 1984 Volvo 242 turbo intercooler

Isn’t it deadly when a cheap punt works out.

Hateful car but cheap runabout ��

Garage the Merc over winter and daily the Prius. Then off load the Prius in summer and use the funds for something else, win win.

Agreed - hateful thing Making a profit out of it will make it better though
    fyi your photos show up fine on my phone but on a PC they are blurred with a photbucket watermark over them

Can't fault it for 850 dollars, they're great commuter cars, I'd have done the same. It's only the mad situation regarding insurance here that my driveway isn't full of cars.

Nice one, I like these I picked one up in November with tax and test for €1000. It’s just about to tick over 300k, going perfect with no warning lights either! It still does 40 odd miles to the gallon too
    Last edited by Kaiser; 04-01-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Not a hateful thing at all , quite relaxing on a commute daily and super effective air con and a lot of them have a decent JBL sound system , far from hateful.

I hate to say it but crank, Kaiser & bigus aren't wrong. It's actually a quite pleasant drive, I'm seeing 45-50 mpg with a little bit of strategic use of cruise control, Texas being flat as a pancake helps !

It has the jbl 6cd changer with aux in, so a major upgrade over the 26 year old Becker and waning speakers in the Benz.

I was getting 32ish mpg in the Benz but maintenance and fear of every knock is getting to me a bit. Plus if I put it with hagerty 5k miles a year for agreed value it's like half of what I pay currently for commuting.

It's a grand daily and even passed state inspection this morning !

So I actually washed the seats , wet vacced the whole thing and now it's sanitary enough that my wife nicked it off me this evening.

Got the headlamps back to normal!

Threw a whole can of this at the interior with a drill mounted scrubby brush, yer only man !

Wet vacced it out and it doesn't look like something gave birth in the backseat anymore !

Then I spent more time on the important things in life

Last edited by admredux; 05-01-2020 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gn3dr View Post
    Agreed - hateful thing Making a profit out of it will make it better though
    fyi your photos show up fine on my phone but on a PC they are blurred with a photbucket watermark over them
    I've had this feedback before alright, tried flikr but not as easy to upload from my phone/share the img links , I've to figure out how to do that or a better alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by -MICK- View Post
    Isn’t it deadly when a cheap punt works out.

Hateful car but cheap runabout ��
    I'm a terrible car flipper , this should be for sale already!