Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid life crisis

Mid life crisis

Here we go....

I always wanted a fairy .... not any of them... really ...

Specifically an Elise or Exige ...

Take my M5 ... and people have accused me of either not being willing or capable of pushing it enough ( I say nobody should push any car any more than they feel comfortable enough ) .. it is .. NOT ... suited for Mondello. It is heavy. It loves Spa.

Matter of fact, the best trackdays ever in the M5 have been in Spa. What a blast ... but Mondello? It suits a sub 1t nimble vehicle ...

So ... coming on to mid life crisis .. for the last 3+ years I have been eyeballing Mk1 Tesla Roadsters. And yes ... they are 70k GBP+ still.

The question is: am I mad ?

And yes ... if I can gather the funds .. that is the aim in the very near future.. just because .. even though I am a petrolhead ...i also am a damn treehugger

/M

On a trail somewhere .... not far from being stuck.

I never thought I'd see myself in a hybrid so anything is possible! The Tesla sounds like an awesome idea.
    2005 toyota sequoia pedril, 1993 300d, I need a project

Mad maybe

But your having fun so no worries

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

200k usd list price. You could get a lot of lotus for that...

Tesla aren't that environmentally friendly when you factor in the impact of shipping one here. Depending on what energy you use to charge it, it could take a long time to become carbon neutral, and by then it might be outdated tech...

Not to put you off one, i like the tesla saloons, but a 200k sports car is not the place for an electric motor, unless its supplementing a v6 or v8.

For £70k you can buy a very nicely speced Ariel Atom 4. Now you won’t want to stick white plates on it so maybe a useless comparison and apparently a three year waiting list. But £70k buys you a lot of decent metal. You would even scrape into an F430 and possibly even something like a McLaren 650S.

Or as suggested above, buy an Elise for sub €20k.

By all means electric cars have a place in this world but more so on the commute. For that money, I would go to Tesla’s web site and put in an order for a Tesla Model 3 performance and bask in its newness and warranty.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by colm89 View Post
    200k usd list price. You could get a lot of lotus for that...

Tesla aren't that environmentally friendly when you factor in the impact of shipping one here. Depending on what energy you use to charge it, it could take a long time to become carbon neutral, and by then it might be outdated tech...
    On a 10 year old Tesla, you don't worry about the carbon footprint anymore. And in Ireland, driving an electric car is not really that environmental friendly, because of the fact how our power is produced.

320km+ is plenty of range. I don't need the newest tech.

And shipping is a non issue, as the ones I am looking at are already in the UK.

So the concerns you have raised are none of my concerns.

/M
    Last edited by Marlow; 04-01-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    For £70k you can buy a very nicely speced Ariel Atom 4. Now you won’t want to stick white plates on it so maybe a useless comparison and apparently a three year waiting list. But £70k buys you a lot of decent metal. You would even scrape into an F430 and possibly even something like a McLaren 650S.

Or as suggested above, buy an Elise for sub €20k.

By all means electric cars have a place in this world but more so on the commute. For that money, I would go to Tesla’s web site and put in an order for a Tesla Model 3 performance and bask in its newness and warranty.
    You of all people should know, that buying a F430 or McLaren is one thing, but maintaining it is an entire other. Also, that's not what I'm after.

And a Model 3 ? Really ? Have you actually seen one in real life ? I don't like it. At all.

/M

Sounds like you've your mind made up, but at 70k for a 10 year old tesla that won't even be that environmentally friendly sounds mad.

Maybe you'll prove us all wrong

Quote Originally Posted by colm89 View Post
    Sounds like you've your mind made up, but at 70k for a 10 year old tesla that won't even be that environmentally friendly sounds mad.

Maybe you'll prove us all wrong
    You're still not getting it ..

Let me spell it out:
    - it's a Lotus Elise with an electric drivetrain, meaning lots of torque .. always .. instant.
    - it is the only Tesla, that does not have Android build in, so they can't track you in it .. like the others
    - it's so far the best looking Tesla ..
    - the public slow chargers are still completely free to use in Ireland
    - if one were inclined and stuck enough solar panels on ones house roof at home, you could even charge for free at home (yes .. in Ireland .. you just need a few more)
    - in 10 years, no combustion engine vehicles will be sold anymore (if you believe our government)

My concerns are not of environmental relation. Look at the other advantages of an electric car and stop talking about carbon footprint and environment.

/M