Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Carlos Ghosn Case..

The Carlos Ghosn Case..

It's turning into John Z. Delorean levels of mad, he apparently escaped to Lebanon, hiding in a musical instrument case.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/31/ex-ni...case-11983976/

Hard to know who to believe in this one. He's never struck me as likeable, but that doesn't mean he's a criminal.

On the one hand, there seems to be evidence of him diverting money to himself via Saudi Nissan dealers, on the other, the case has really highlighted how harsh Japans judicial system is. You can pretty much be held hostage by the authorities as long as they like to try force a confession. Even getting arrested for something like shoplifting can get you held for 31 days, getting arrested in Japan is no small thing even if you're innocent. Foreigners will often plead guilt just to be allowed to go home. I mean I envy Japans low crime society, so it's hard to be entirely critical when you sort of see the opposite here, where scumbags get free reign, but you wouldn't want to be the victim of a misunderstanding, especially as westerners aren't viewed particularly well. I suspect the truth of this case is on neither side and it'll take ages to come to light, if ever.

Quite the stunt. He must have had a second french passport tucked away somewhere.

After this case going on for over a year, he must have seen no alternative.

/M

On a trail somewhere .... not far from being stuck.

According to reports on the news this morning he has 3 passports but was only asked to hand up one of them

Yeah I think he has a Lebanese Passport hence where he absconded to.... can't wait for the movie
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

It will be interesting to watch.

As you say, the truth is somewhere in the middle. While the statistics show that Japan solves something like 91% of its crimes, the reality is that many of these are forced admissions. On the other hand, many high level corruption cases have been discovered by random or the media, not by the authoroties, so perhaps the justice systems is best suited to "solving" petty crime, while leaving the big fish of the Yakuza and big corruption alone.
    "This is a non-contact sport but then so is ice hockey" - Roberto Giordanelli on Irish FIAT Punto racing but applies to all Irish racing..
    "Tailgaters have small dicks" - Me

he had 2 frech passports and had to keep one to prove he was allowed stay in japan but it was supposed to be locked up by his legal team

Turkey has arrested a bunch of people. Four pilots and some ground staff.

It’ll be interesting to see if he can leave Lebanon and go to somewhere like France. I’m sure he’ll be arrested and tried in a western country but not extradited. Or maybe he’ll just hang around in countries that don’t really care.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    According to reports on the news this morning he has 3 passports but was only asked to hand up one of them
    I'd heard all three had been taken off him, but there's lots of rumour.

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Turkey has arrested a bunch of people. Four pilots and some ground staff.

It’ll be interesting to see if he can leave Lebanon and go to somewhere like France. I’m sure he’ll be arrested and tried in a western country but not extradited. Or maybe he’ll just hang around in countries that don’t really care.
    Do you think the Lebanese would extradite one of their own, a place where there's been nothin but corruption....
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

There is no extradition treaty between Lebanon and Japan. Funny that.