Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R - what to buy and when to buy it

Maybe not the Golf, but the Polo only blew everyone clean out of the water in WRC . Repeatedly.

And Kenneth Erikkson was 4th o/a in the drivers championship in the World Rally C'ship in a mk2 16v Golf in 87.
    www.PatHoranMotors.com

E39 M5, Mk5 GTI, Mk2 GTI, Mk1 GTI, E30, yadda yadda

Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.

The golf R is the holy grail of 4wd turbo cars someone send me back to the 90s ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Gn3dr View Post
    DSG, ACC, DCC !!! Ffs why don't you just take the train?
    And Golfs (even though I generally don't like them) , should be 3 door
    I donít think The R got itís following from being akin to commuter travel

As for the 3 dr, I was always a man for the 3door hatches, but I think previous gen cars were designed as a 3 door then had the extras lobbed in as an afterthought, the 7 seems a bit more thought went into making it a 5 door first, it just looks right. Different strokes tho I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG, ACC, DCC !!! Ffs why don't you just take the train?
    And Golfs (even though I generally don't like them) , should be 3 door
    Why would I take the train? You are not on a rally stage here buddy. The Golf R has good reviews as it does everything reasonably well and that includes commute, long distance travel and fast roads. The Golf R is not that great racer and even Seat Cupra is faster on the racing track. Evos, Imprezas etc used to do only one thing well. Also this is not a motorsport forum.

Quote Originally Posted by wratch View Post
    You can have a left hand wank then ��
    That why a manual was invented...
    I'm standing in a field full of sheep, is it wrong that I feel aroused

I must actually drive one sometime to properly judge it but with VW's I can't help bringing it back to Motorsport - people compare Golf R's to Subaru's Evo's etc. But when it comes to motorsport (rallying specifically) Golf's were never at the races. This of course may be irrelevant for a road car....
    No o e is comparing them to EVo's or Subarus, that wouldn't be fair on the Evo's and Subarus

All joking aside though the Japanese led the way with high output 4wd 2.0 cars but the game has changed, these days you have high out put 4wd small cars (from many manufacturers) that aren't as highly strung as the Evo etc were back in the day, don't suffer massive turbo lag and have interiors to rival much bigger more expensive cars.

That’s the thing about Golf R’s, they are everyday cars and can be used everyday. I put over 150,000 kms on two of them in the space of three years with only the normal servicing and nothing went wrong.

I'm always struck by the strong following of the golf r on here. I guess there is a fair bit of bias since so many posters own them. all the review back it up though, great every day car with loads of performance on tap too. imo they just lack a bit of kerb appeal. having said that I nearly bought one a couple of times and I could see myself in one yet

A good few have also moved on to newer pastures, some dictated by mileage went back to diesel, one didnít like the attention it got and a couple of legends got M2ís!
    I on the other hand , in advance of what I thought would be an actual brexit meaning Sterling 👎🏻 & all those pcp ones in the uk would flood the market & didnít want to lose Ä5-10k overnight.
    I also thought that might lead to a general market reset and didnít like having Ä30k tied up in a car.
    Yes I have a tendency to overthink things , itís a curse!
    I also got bored with it so got a fiat 500...

Quote Originally Posted by wratch View Post
    Why would I take the train? You are not on a rally stage here buddy. The Golf R has good reviews as it does everything reasonably well and that includes commute, long distance travel and fast roads. The Golf R is not that great racer and even Seat Cupra is faster on the racing track. Evos, Imprezas etc used to do only one thing well. Also this is not a motorsport forum.
    It's not a wank forum either