Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Golf R - what to buy and when to buy it

@OP a lot of shite talk on this thread. Just do it. Your in an S3 so the fuel consumption will probably improve. I'm in mine two weeks and I've nearly 2k miles done. They are awesome. I was chasing an marcach's beautiful Evora around the Tipperary hills yesterday and it was some craic. Proper sports car performance in a Golf. It averaged 30mpg too. I can literally see no downsides to them.

Oh, buy the manual. DSGs are boring, quicker but boring.
    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hooch; 01-01-2020 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tossy View Post
    Actually if you're buying one as a keeper or long term car the older version is a better buy IMO - VW has long had trouble with Carbon deposits in the inlet ports of performance engines which over time saps power - the original R has multi port injection which eliminates this but in their wisdom they didn't include this on the newer 310, it's a shame as aesthetics wise the 7.5 is better looking car IMO.
    Good to hear. I'm building a shed to keep mine. It's going nowhere!

Thanks all for the posts. I have access to a dsg for a long test drive so will exploit that, Id imagin the manual isnt too different from what I have now. For some reason every fibre of my being is saying DSG but I do appreciate I could get bored of it. I feel im yearning for a change from what I already know.

Anyway Ill be sure to test bit he before I buy and will keep you all updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hooch View Post
    Good to hear. I'm building a shed to keep mine. It's going nowhere!

I give it 18 months before youre on here looking at rs/rs3 or more likely after peak hot hatch , something proper rwd like an M2😜!

Must be DSG. Manual boxes are obsolete at this stage. With DSG you can relax and enjoy your coffee in stop and go traffic. ACC works great with DSG even if you come to a complete stop, if the traffic in front starts moving in a few seconds the car will follow. Auto Hold too is great. DCC is another must have option especially for Irish motorways as it helps smooth over a lack of skill to build flat roads in comfort mode. Five door. Black. Pretoria wheels. Akrapovič exhaust if you are lucky.

What if you dont drink coffee?

You can have a left hand wank then 😂

Quote Originally Posted by wratch View Post
    Must be DSG. Manual boxes are obsolete at this stage. With DSG you can relax and enjoy your coffee in stop and go traffic. ACC works great with DSG even if you come to a complete stop, if the traffic in front starts moving in a few seconds the car will follow. Auto Hold too is great. DCC is another must have option especially for Irish motorways as it helps smooth over a lack of skill to build flat roads in comfort mode. Five door. Black. Pretoria wheels. Akrapovič exhaust if you are lucky.
    DSG, ACC, DCC !!! Ffs why don't you just take the train?
    And Golfs (even though I generally don't like them) , should be 3 door

Lol. At least we can agree... on nothing.
    I'm with the resistance

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
    Lol. At least we can agree... on nothing.

I must actually drive one sometime to properly judge it but with VW's I can't help bringing it back to Motorsport - people compare Golf R's to Subaru's Evo's etc. But when it comes to motorsport (rallying specifically) Golf's were never at the races. This of course may be irrelevant for a road car....